Clutch pedal too high: what happens next?

Daughter just had her Panda serviced, and the mechanic warned that the clutch pedal was very high and couldn't be adjusted; ie, a change of clutch is presumably around the corner.

It's donkeys years since I've had a clutch go on me, and I can't remember what symptoms she's likely to experience if/when this happens. Will the car break down without warning (other than the 'high' pedal she's already got?) or will it deteriorate and give her a bit of notice that an appointment with the garage is needed?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

the clutch bite point will get higher and the engagement will soften until the clutch starts to slip, this will probably be first experienced when accellerating on the open road when the revs will rise although the car won't go faster. That is usually the last warning, the slippage may get progressively worse till the car won't pull away anymore or the clutch lining may fall off and suddenly it won't go anymore. Leaving it too long often damages the flywheel through overheating. That is a cheap car to do a clutch on.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Either failure mode is possible; it may start to slip first if you are lucky.

If your daughter is keeping the car, it would be better to do it sooner rather than later.

It might be worth taking a ride with her to see if she is inadvertently abusing the clutch. If treated properly, clutch failure is very rare; if abused, they can be killed in a year!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks - that first bit rings bells with me now! :)

Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster