Decipher MOT tyres miles left

Just put the 107 in for its first MOT today and it passed but with an advisory that both front tyres are near the legal limit at 2mm. (Tyres are original ContinentalPremier Contact 2 155/65 R14 75T and the car has

9125 miles on it) How does this translate into how many miles it is safe and legal to do before buying new ones? (The guy did say that the tracking is probably out causing the early tyre wear)

Also the front service brake imbalance is 11% at left 189, right 202. (42% Efficiency) Rear imbalance is 7% left 119 right 127 (26% Efficiency). Total Efficiency is 68% (42% front and 26% rear). Parking brake is left 97 right 93.

Are these reasonable figures or does something need attention?

Car has disks front pads rear.

TIA

Reply to
James H

Can't comment on the brakes but 9000 miles for a pair of tyres is pretty shit. Get your tracking checked. If you're only doing 3000 miles a year you could be some time before you reach the legal limit but senseless to wear out your tyres faster than necesary.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Tyres: depends on the age of the driver! Agree about checking tracking, though. IME some places are better than others, get quotes and/or local recommendations if you have a choice.

Reply to
newshound

We are both pushing 70 and drive very carefully, the car being used as a shopping trolley only really. The car had one previous female owner and had just 3000 miles on it when we bought it two years or so back. I wonder how tracking goes out if the car is such a low mileage and not being bashed up and down kerbs and pot holes. The rear tyres are also originals but are at 5-6mm.

Quote from Protyre was £130 for the same tyres as fitted including the tracking.

Reply to
James H

You need new tyres now, legal limits are well below safe limits, especially with winter looming. The new tyres should go on the rear, the rears moved to the front. Get good quality tyres (they do not need to be the exact same as original, but the originals would be fine) The brake imbalance is obviously not excessive or the car would fail the MoT. If you notice the car pulling one way or the other when braking then get the brakes checked out ASAP. Pads can stick, wheel cylinders can leak, these items should be checked at least annually at the car's service. Speed humps, crashes and kerbs are the most likely suspects to put the tracking out. You don't really know how the car was treated during its first year, and it seems likely that it was driven hard.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

How sure can you be about that?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Have the tyres been interchanged at regular intervals? The Pug 107 being a front wheel drive, will wear faster on the front tyres than on the rear tyres for the same mileage....

Its usual to rotate the tyres (along with the spare if its not a spacesaver tyre) every 6k to 12K miles, the service manaul should specify.

The idea is that all the tyres then wear down to the legal limit and then you replace all the tyres with a new matching set.

Reply to
Stephen

Or at least driven badly. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Do you excessively turn the steering wheel when getting in and out of parking spaces without the car moving forwards/backward hence scrubbing the front tyres?

Are the tyre pressures correct?

Reply to
alan_m

Change them. They're knackered.

The absolute legal minimum is less than half a millimetre away.

NINE thousand miles on a 107 and the tyres are bald?

Ah. Yes, that explains it.

Still, not like they're expensive.

Change from £40 each, with a free hotel break if you buy two!

Please don't penny-pinch and buy the off-brand s**te. If I was desperately trying to run it as cheap as possible (as you seem to be by asking how far you've got left on shagged tyres), then from the sub £30 section of that list, I'd go for the Avons or the Uniroyals, the Vredesteins at a few pence over. But if it were my car? The £41 Michelins. No brainer.

Reply to
Adrian

It doesn't. That simple.

TBH, I'm surprised they're so worn after less than 10k miles from new.

Reply to
Adrian

Clocked? One careful lady owner? Sounds ripe for "mileage adjustment". Hope the steering wheel isn't shiny. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'll add a vote with this one. At 2mm you are likely to have a lot less grip than you want in winter conditions, change them now.

Reply to
rp

Oh, I'm fairly sure I could wear out a set on a 107 quicker than that, without doing anything particularly silly.

Reply to
SteveH

It came from a Peugeot main dealer which is a good indication as to its providence.

Reply to
James H

Why? AFAIK when new they are only 7mm. If I am doing my sums correctly that would give a life of 45k miles to take them from 7mm down to 2mm which should be good for any car or tyre.

Reply to
James H

Thanks. Yes I will have the tyres fitted later this week.

Reply to
James H

No not bald. To me they looked fine with tons of tread. The MOT bloke is obviously looking at certain areas of the tyre which are apparently affected by bad tracking.

Reply to
James H

No and yes

Reply to
James H

Premier Contact wear quickly, but are good otherwise.

Just needs an Italian tune up.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan