Tyres

Hi,

I have a W reg Discovery which has just covered 30000 miles and is still on the first set of tyres.

I suspect that I will need new ones before the next MOT.

The spare is brand new having never been on the car and what I would like to know is will it be OK to use that one with 3 other new tyres and use the best on the car as the spare?

TIA,

ErnieH

Reply to
Ernie Hastings

|| Hi, || || I have a W reg Discovery which has just covered 30000 miles and is || still on the first set of tyres. || || I suspect that I will need new ones before the next MOT. || || The spare is brand new having never been on the car and what I would || like to know is will it be OK to use that one with 3 other new tyres || and use the best on the car as the spare? || || TIA, || || ErnieH

Has it had a spare wheel cover over it for most of its life? Tyres tend to deteriorate from exposure to UV light, so if it's been covered it should be OK. Check the tread and both sidewalls for cracking or hardening - if there's no obvious damage it will probably be OK.

For myself, I would keep it as a spare for use in an emergency, and go the extra few quid to fit 4 new ones. Tyres are mission-critical, and I never take chances with them.

Reply to
Richard Brookman