Focus alternator (was belt shredding)

I am confident I have sorted this out now. When I carefully examined the alignment of the pulleys I could see that the pattern alternator (made by Rollco) was about 3mm out of line. One of the ribs of the alternator pulley had a witness mark on its peak where it had cut through the belt, so presumably the pulley was mismanufactured, although it was not easily measured as such. The one way clutch was working fine, the crank pulley seemed good with just minimal spring in the rubber. I rebuilt the original alternator which only needed bearings and put that back on. I refunded the customer the cost of the alternator and one belt. She was very pleased, I am out of pocket, but in future I will stick to genuine alternators only. The price difference in this case was very marked, pattern 140 quid, genuine nearly 300.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Definitely one to watch out for. I guess the multi-rib belts are more fussy than V belts, also on modern vehicles the "runs" are often shorter, making alignment even more critical. And of course there isn't much space to offer up a straight edge, like we were all taught to in the good old days!

Worth moaning at the pattern alternator supplier, though.

Reply to
newshound

They have been sent it back, with details and I have been credited. From above the misalignment could not be seen, but from below it was more obvious. Of course I had fitted it from on top, this time I fitted it from below. The choice is to unbolt the headlight and power steering pump on top, or unbolt the air con pump below, from underneath is quickest and gives you the view of the pulleys.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Just realised the thread should say Fiesta, not Focus :)

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Over the last 18 months I have replaced the idle air control valve in my Mk 1 Focus five times!

The original was sticking closed at start, and cleaning didn't help. The first replacement was a 20 quid eBay one; it idled much too fast. The second was 40 quid from a local factor; it lasted 13 months, then started sticking open after a cold start. Again, cleaning didn't help. I then tried another eBay one; it idled much too slowly. I sent it back for replacement, and the replacement was just as bad. I have ended up with a genuine one at £110 including the gasket, and it has transformed idling and over-run smoothness.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I got a cheap iacv for mine from the transit parts centre and a year or two on and it seems ok, idles fine, but I think it should be smoother on the over-run, but I can live with that.

Reply to
Mrcheerful