focus tdci oil filter came loose :0I

As per subject !!

I only noticed because I was taking the wheels off to have a look at the brakes. I have never had a filter come loose before, in all the years I have been doing DIY oil changes ! /Luckily/ it only lost about a cup full of oil ( which I had attributed to normal useage !) I wander what are the chances if getting away with the filter coming off altogether .?

Simon

Reply to
mr p

arrange a way to prevent it happening again. a common method that should work in your case is to get a large jubilee clip and tighten it around the bit that turns so that the screw lump of the jubilee will come into contact with something if the filter starts to unwind. if there is nothing nearby for the clip to rest against then add a cable tie to the equation.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That particular filter goes on more than hand tight, as there are known issues with them unwinding due to not being tightened properly when installed.

They should be spun on by hand until you feel a bit resistance, then tighten by another full turn. The genuine ford filter has the instructions printed on it, along with a handy array of symbols so you know when you've got a full turn.

The chances of it falling completely off are very slim. Provided you check the oil level reguarly, and notice the inevitable oil leak from it coming slack, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Reply to
moray

I had an oil filter explode at 70mph once, a week after fitting it new, it was still on tight but it sort of peeled apart enough for the oil to spray out just about everywhere under the bonnet. A right lovely mess, so bad you couldn't tell where the oil had come from. The RAC man filled the engine up with oil which promptly dumped itself on the floor as soon as the engine was started so the leak was a bit obvious then. No damage to the engine at all, it did another 100k after that.

Reply to
Steve B

I noticed the marks you reffer to on the old filter actually. The Haynes books says the usual 'do not use tools to tighten filter' though I think ?

I will have to watch it. I doubt it could be in a more difficult place though!

cheers.

Reply to
mr p

the trick is to use a cup type tool to do it up, these don't damage the filter.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Do Ford dealers sell these ? I think that's what I need.

I had another look at it yesterday, got another 1/4 turn again ! I think the rubber has hardened and is shrinking, hence why the filter needs extra tightening. Perhaps the filter gets hotter than on other cars or the Halfords filter is a bit dodgy ? Who knows.

Simon

Reply to
mr p

someone like snap on or mac tools are the likely suppliers

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm changing the filter on an 05 tdci. Where the hell is the filter housing. I've looked all over. It must be hidden somewhere, can anyone help.

url:

Anthony O'Rourke