Ford Fiesta 08 1.6 petrol Ghia

I had a timing belt fail on an old petrol Cavalier sometime before 2005 (I only know this date because that's when I replaced the car.)

One evening driving home from work, while waiting for traffic, I noticed a very low rate thumping sound - about once per second. The following morning it failed to start, the starter just spinning. I prised open the plastic timing belt cover just enough to see the belt but it looked OK, so I called the AA man. He looked in the same place while I cranked the engine - and could see that the belt was not moving. So he towed it to my local garage where it was repaired. Happily not an interference engine.

Clearly the belt had frayed and the thumping sound was part of it clouting the housing as it went round.

By contrast my sister had a diesel VW Passat estate, belt and idler replaced by local garage (near Glasgow) at the specified service. She drives to Colchester to stay with our mother. Almost on arrival - bang!

- and engine stops. Garage in Colchester investigate - belt has failed. They suggest it was incompetently fitted, in that the idler was not tightened properly so had worked loose. Wrote report, which sister took to original garage. They protested their innocence and tried to claim that the VW part was badly manufactured. Eventually they paid her some small compensation (probably the materials cost of the replacement belt and idler). So she was seriously out of pocket with the cost of the work done by the garage in Colchester!

Even more annoying - she was working part-time for the Glasgow garage as their book-keeper - so you would have thought they would have treated her better.

Which leads to the old adage - the best way to ensure a piece of machinery does not fail is not to let a maintenance technician anywhere near it!

Reply to
Graham J

...and don't forget to change the dual mass flywheel at the same time. Or, often, before the clutch is due.

Reply to
Adrian

So you'll be fitting a belt life warning system - despite there being no easy way to sense it - which is "secondary", so you still need to change the belt by age/mileage as a precaution?

Reply to
Adrian

But it seems from this tread that there are visible signs that can be manually checked: Frayed edges, rounded teeth, flexible teeth, slack.

Reply to
johannes

Yes. If you dismantle half the engine to get the cover off. And, of course, that won't tell you whether the tensioners and/or idlers are on their way out - to get to them requires even more dismantling. By that stage, you're 2/3 of the way to changing the damn thing.

Meanwhile, a low coolant level sensor is two prongs into the header tank.

Reply to
Adrian

The most common failure mode I have seen is cracking up of plastic tensioner roller covers. But you would have to be very lucky to see one at the start of the cracking, and I bet it is only a very short while till the cover flies apart and the belt goes loose. The second most common failure mode is water pump failure, which tends to sometimes give warning by leaking, but can just go. One of the ones I repaired was a

16valve corsa engine, the car had only covered 26,000 from new and was 5 years old. The belt and water pump should be changed at 4 years (just 17,000 miles in this case) There was not a sign of water leakage, yet the pump bearings had failed. The head needed most of the valves and several valve guides, a very expensive failure on a very low mileage car.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've no idea of the cost to change any cam belt, as I've never owned a car with one.

So substitute the figure for a maximum time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about there was a lifetime guarantee , changes by the makers agents at the recommended intervals are free, failures in between are repaired free. I can see the manufacturers flocking to support that idea.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

100,000 miles likely is a lifetime in terms of maker's warranties.

My idea was to stop them making them so difficult to change in some cases. Perhaps the same should apply to bulbs too. And the easy way for this is to hit them in the pocket. Unless you're saying it's impossible to design an easy to change cambelt?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It certainly is for Vauxhall...

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sat 26 Sep 2015

00:01:09:

With my older M-reg one it needed it apparently, unless I was misled. Mind you, things move on so not surprised that it can probably be done in situ. As Chris says, Fords do have 100k change intervals if not more, so I am in no panic for the next 28 miles until it hits the big number.

Reply to
Mr Guest

Mrcheerful wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sat 26 Sep

2015 00:50:26:

Thanks MrC. I am aware that the cheap Hong Kong Bluetooth receiver I have connected is probably worth more than the car at this stage, I need to keep it going until April next year when the money fairy might make a newer car a better prospect.

Reply to
Mr Guest

Chris Whelan wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sat 26 Sep

2015 07:48:45:

Fair comment. Next April is when I will ideally look for something newer. Might not be a Ford this time and probably be a 1.4 engine.

Reply to
Mr Guest

Mrcheerful wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sat 26 Sep

2015 14:41:56:

I've waited until now to decide what to do as there was a chance my financial situation would be slightly better than it is. It's MoT test time in any case so the car also needs a service, which I had set aside money for.

Reply to
Mr Guest

then if sudden loss of the car is unimportant, keep driving it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sat 26 Sep

2015 15:53:19:

Tyres, screenwash and occasionally oil are my limits. DIY is also not a hobby due to the chances of making a slightly broken item irretrievably broken due to my intervention.

The chances of me finding a dry, level bit of ground and the necessary tuits are low as well.

Reply to
Mr Guest

But if it's necessary to get to work and earn your living, what would you do?

Is moving house to within walking/cycling/public-transport distance a possibility?

Or changing job?

If not, some serious work researching a low-maintenance vehicle would be worthwhile.

Reply to
Graham J
[...]

I would consider an '08 Fiesta a low maintenance vehicle.

It's not a no maintenance one however...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

K11 Micra. They just don't die. And have a camchain.

Reply to
SteveH

Pre 1988 Wartburg Knight, no cam chain, no cambelt, no camshaft/s

Reply to
Mrcheerful