Fuel Quality - Petrol

I was once told by a mechanic always use BP as it more refined and better for the engine. I must admit I can always tell a immediate difference with BP.

I never use the supermarket fuel, does it make that much difference, also who supplies these supermarkets?

VW dealership recently told me I should use Shell Optimax as in the long run I will save more on fuel, how's that?

Thanks

Reply to
Sim

After trying several brands, I found BP unleaded to be best in my Rover 414 (1993) - Fina was also very good. Mind you, the old Fords I've ran preferred Esso...

Depends on their contract, but it's nearly always big names such as Texaco, etc.

Possible theory:

Higher octane than normal unleaded, so ignition can be advanced slightly to increase power without 'pinking'. Only really beneficial if you adjust the ignition timing to take advantage (many engine management systems won't allow this), or your engine has a knock sensor which will do this automatically.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

the increase in MPG outweighs the extra price.Depends on the car though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

BP, Shell, Conoco.

All the refineries supply other brand chains, i.e Conoco at Immingham will have supermarket tankers, Texaco, Jet, Shell and BP tankers all filling on the same site.

Reply to
Conor

Optimax evidently (I read it somewhere recently) is the only petrol that's just about zero sulphur content, so your engine will stay clean over a high mileage. I get 2mpg extra with Shell Optimax compared with BP Ultimate every time in my

2.0 Primera and it's also 4 or 5p cheaper here so it's a simple choice.

On supermarket petrols, my Primera runs OK on Tesco and Sainsbury but I don't like filling up regularly with Tesco's after one episode years ago with dirty petrol at my local Tesco (black petrol!). However, my son uses a low mileage good condition 1985 non ECU Nissan Cherry and that runs very poorly if Tesco petrol is used, well down on power and response, but everyone else's petrol seems OK.

Reply to
Steve B

Think it's the detergent it contains which does this. Sulphur level is controlled by law in the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ALL fuel will come from the same, local refinery. The only thing that changes is the additives that the Petrol company add.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Local Merc dealer claims that cars have come back time and again to be sorted as they are run on supermarket fuel (gunge/deposits is non-technical term) Tesco being the worst

to those "experts" that claim all fuel is the same - the base is !

its the extra detergents/additives that are added which make the difference,

Reply to
jim

All fuel is ultra-low sulphur now, is it not ? You certainly don't experience anything like the number of smelly exhausts compared to a few years back.

All my cars have (to me) not run as well in horrible damp weather. Faced with this level of objectivity, I am always doubtful of claims like "I put xxx petrol in and could immediately tell the difference". Is it not about time one of the car mags carried out some more meaningful tests and put this subject to bed ?

Reply to
John Laird

On 15-Sep-04 10:27:03, John Laird said

Isn't that because all the Marinas are dead and gone? :)

Sounds like a darned good idea to me.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring