BP Stations

What is going on BP seem to be taking over the planet, and Esso are fading fast. Every other station is now BP or about to be, are they trying for a monopoly to hike the price even higher ? Petrol companies and banks are the greediest and most profitable institutions on the planet Gordon Brown should roast them.

Reply to
""macn7"

Round here, all the Tescos are Esso, so probably have as great a market share as the more expensive BP stations.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And in East Yorks all the Shell garages seem to be disappearing.

Reply to
Conor

Perhaps the uk is being broke up into regions so they arnt in competition with each other .

Reply to
SOR

What has happened in this part of London is that many stations have closed completely - I'd guess because of the competition from the supermarkets. Who will, once they have a near monopoly, put up their prices as they do with everything else...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There were never many.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I dunno about higher petrol prices - it's all about competition really.

For example, on the A41 there's a roundabout with 4 petrol stations just off it. Shell, BP, Sainsbury's and Asda.

It's the cheapest place to go for fuel within in about 6-9 miles radius. Cheaper by about 5p/litre compared to anywhere locally near my house. That's £5 saving per full tank, and with 3 cars filling up full tank every week, that's a lot of money saved.

Reply to
T.

Whats the score with Tesco petrol and Esso petrol? Do Esso supply Tesco?

At Tesco supermarkets they have their own Tesco petrol stations, but then at the Tesco "metro" stores they have an Esso petrol station with a Tesco shop.

What's going on here? Does anyone know why they don't just have a Tesco shop with Tesco petrol pumps, or Esso with an Esso shop.

Not that it matters, it just seems illogical to me.

Stephen :)

Reply to
StephenH

And there's even less now.

Reply to
Richard Goulding

I think the only ones left now are the two on the A63 and the one at Willerby. The one in Brid closed, the Driffield one turned into a Total, the Beverley one is now a carwash.

Reply to
Conor

I noticed this last week.

I was driving from Swindon to West London and know from painful experience that my car does not like BP diesel so was looking to fill up.

Every service station on the M4 was BP, then once into London and onto the A4 I still only saw BP stations. I ended up having to wait until my journey north the following day before I had any choice at all.

Reply to
Networkguy