Golf GTi bearing cap (or not)

Finished bleeding my rear brakes after new bearings, discs, pads, pipes, calipers. When I took off the front-right wheel alloy middle cap, I noticed that the bearing cap wasn't intact, and there was no grease in the bearing. I was speechless.

Anyway, I expect this could account for the grinding noise at speed (around 70mph). Is it an MOT failure? When the car failed, it wasn't mentioned but perhaps he missed it. What are the consequences of not sorting it, apart from the noise? I take it that the bearing wears more, but what does that actually mean in practice?

I can't believe that a PO forgot to put the cap on.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

It may not be as bad as it seems, although obviously it's not good. The front wheel bearings on most cars nowadays are sealed for life, you can't grease it if you want to. the middle cap is a dust cap more than anything.

It will fail the test if the inspector hears a lot of noise from it when he spins the wheel, or obviously a lot of play. He didn't fail it for that, so assume it's OK.

If it was producing noise it would mostly do so on left hand bends, does it?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The other side was the same, so it seems you're right (or they're both bolloxed!). I was just a little bemused. It's a MkII FWIW.

Took it out for a spin and there is a scraping noise coming from the rear of the car, so I'll have to look at that next. I hope I put the new bearing kit in properly. It's not a constant scrape, more something that happens once during each revolution.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

warped brake drum ?? warped disk ??

Reply to
aussie bongo

Warped brand new brake disk? I doubt it. It's been on the car for a couple of months, and developed a little flash rust, but warped? It's much more likely that I didn't put something together properly.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

the dust cap rubbing the split pin ?

Reply to