Motoquip oil filters

I replaced the oil & filter on the wife's ZX 1.4 yesterday. I had fitted a Motoquip filter 5000 miles ago and really struggled to get it off yesterday. I always oil the washer and don't spin them really tight after contact, but this one was a sod to get off. What made it worse was the exceptionally thin walls of the filter which peeled away under the chain wrench, even at the base.

I have never had problems removing a filter from this car because access is so good, although in the past I've always used genuine Purflux filters which seem to be much thicker.

I fitted a Mann filter this time which also appears to be better made. I had thought Motoquip parts were okay (didn't they used to supply Peugeot own brand parts?) but won't be using another of their oil filters in a hurry.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Reply to
Doctor D

The message from "Doctor D" contains these words:

I've never had trouble removing a filter /I've fitted/ 'cos I don't overtighten 'em. Rarely need even gloves to undo 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Most of mine seem to come off under hand pressure only. Sometimes a lot of pressure maybe but I haven't had to use a screwdriver and a hammer for ages.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

This one was buckling under hand pressure - it was also very hot after a run! I've never had a problem with over-tightening them, and certainly with the Purflux filters rarely needed the chain.

Reply to
Doctor D