Oil

Well my new motor requires fully synthetic oil (either 5-40 or 0-40)

I asked the dealer what they use at service to be told that they use Texaco (obviously they buy in bulk) but that as long as it meets the spec, it should not matter, The owners manual recommends Castrol (although obviously the main dealer does not use this) so for my first question, does it matter?

If I pop down to my local auto shop, as long as it is fully synthetic 0-40, does it really matter what make it is? If so, recommend me a good one seeing that I will be doing at least 120,000 over the next 3 years and I have to pay for the servicing.

Secondly. On my old car, about 2000 miles after service, the oil levels would need a top up. I put this down to the oil used during the service as once I had topped things up with some Magnatec stuff, it did not need anymore until the next service.

Does synthetic oil "burn off" in the same way. After all, if it does not then there would be no need for me to buy any oil other than at service time.

Thanks

Reply to
Networkguy

Apparently most new cars require 0W-30 or 5W-30. Some specify a 40 grade also.

What's more important is the API rating of the oil - this forms part of the "spec". Your manual should specify whether you require an SG or SL API certified oil for example. If your car is under warranty, your engine gives up and the manufacturer suspects and checks the oil,not using the correct certified oil would invalidate your warranty.

The make may not be so important. I believe the general consensus is to use a well known make like Mobil, Castrol, Shell etc... In other words, one of the big Companies.

Even amongst these big names, some oils are better than others. This will be realised by one persons oil breaking down after only 3000 miles as opposed to someone else's whose will breakdown at, maybe,

10000 miles.

Generally, the "thinner" the oil the more likely you are to consume oil. If you consume oil when using 0W-40, replace it next time with

5W-40 or even 10W-40.

Magnatec is considered to be a very poor oil. Something to do with carbonising easily.

I don't believe "burn off" has anything to do with being synthetic or not - rather the thickness of the oil and the age of the car.

You may well ask "so what is the best oil then". Well, life isn't that simple. People driving the same car but with different habits (a heavier right foot for example) will get by on different oils.

You may want to read

where mostof your questions will be answered and you'll see how complicated sucha simple question about oil can get!

Reply to
junk

The message from snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com contains these words:

If it's made out of pure bollocks like the advert is - then I shouldn't be at all surprised.

Reply to
Guy King

synthetic

It is impossible to give reliable and accurate advice without knowing what actual specification [as opposed to 'viscosity'] of oil your car manufacturer recommends. It might want a simple API specification but it might need a higher specification of oil altogether for higher performance engines with longer drain intervals. It is important to appreciate this, and to state the make and model of car, otherwise answers to your question will be guesswork bordering on bollocks.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Do they crush them to make the oil like olives, or is it some other process?

Reply to
Scott Mills

The message from "Scott Mills" contains these words:

If it's the lying bastards from the advertising agencies, I hope they toast them first - then crush them slowly.

Reply to
Guy King