Synthetic oil

I've a Vauxhall combo 1.7D that needs oil changes with synthetic oil every

20k, and I've read here of people being discouraged from using synthetic oil, if you are changing the oil more frequently (5-10K). So am I right in thinking that when I'm most of the way to the next service, it does no harm to top up with normal mineral oil.

Just curious, Chris D

Reply to
cjd

I certainly wouldn't mix dino and synthetic unless it was an emergency. Is it right on minimum? If so and it's almost due for a change just add enough of the correct synth to bring it slightly above.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

synthetic

Eh? Why? Apart from cost of course.

It is preferable to top up with the same oil as is already in use. No problem topping up with heavy duty mineral oil though. Better any oil in the sump than none. If you top up with a mineral, then try and use one that meets ACEA E3 or API CH4 specification. This should be in the small print on the can. For the main oil change, always use the oil recommended by the manufacturer as a minimum or a better specification if you can.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yes, I noticed it was down to min level the other night, so I topped up with mineral oil as that was all the petrol station had (and that was £4.50 for a litre).

It's next service is in 3-4000 miles (3-4 weeks), where it will have the recommended oil.

Thank Chris D

Reply to
cjd

I think you will find your van needs SEMI-synthetic oil. Check the service book.

Only a few new Vauxhalls run the flex-service which demands fully synthetic oil.

It isn't expensive from your Vauxhall dealer so I would buy a 5 litre can from them.

Reply to
Alan