Omega screeching noise on start up.

1998 Omega 2.0 CD Manual. On startup first thing in morning get a screeching noise from front nearside, sounds like a fast revving electric motor with dry bearings.The noise disappears abruptly after 1 or 2 minutes (you can hear it from inside the cabin!). I'm positive its not the cambelt tensioners, replaced 2000 miles ago. On restarting engine from warm there is no noise, only happens after car has fully cooled down and restarted. What is this motor - some kind of start up pump?. If it fails can I do without it?

Dave

Reply to
Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy

This is the secondary air injection pump, common on all Vectra's / Omega's of this era. They have a habit of filling with water which causes the bearings to dry up / wear out.

If the pump seizes or cannot work for whatever reason it will put the MIL lamp on the dash, signalling a fault.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for that ... is the car still driveable if the pump fails?

Reply to
Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy

Aha - a quick Google and I have answered my own question.

Useful info here if anyone else interested.

Thanks again

Dave

Reply to
Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy