Start up Noise

I have a 2000 Passat 1.8T. Upon start up there is a whirling scraping sound that quits within a minute or so. It come form the passanger side (turbo) side of the engine compartment. Any ideas as to what that could be?

WVK

Reply to
Wayne Van Kirk

Secondary air pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Just guessing. Air pump...

Reply to
Peter Parker

This is normal!

It is a Air pump in the exaust catalyser. I was told by VW mechanic it serves to initiate the process.

"Peter Parker" a écrit dans le message de news:41449eac snipped-for-privacy@nntp2.nac.net...

Reply to
Passat2004 1.8t

BTW...this thing is also usually called the "secondary air pump". I dunno...it shouldn't be too noisy. if it's making scraping noises the bearing could be going out.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yep, Secondary air pump and relay they are asking for about $700.00 to repair!

WVK

Reply to
WVK