Funny colour brake fluid

All,

The ol' 2cv van's been sat in the garden for a couple of years, after the engine decided to throw some toys out of the pram.

That's playing again, but the contents of the brake master cylinder look... interesting.

Normal DOT3 fluid new three and a bit years ago, together with four new wheel cylinders and a new master cylinder. The fluid wasn't bright purple at that point. It is now. A really violent brush cleaner/meths purple.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Adrian

Don't Citroens use a mineral based brake fluid, not the standard DOT stuff?

Hellraiser.........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Hellraiser ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not all.

Disk 2cvs do, as do the big hydraulic Cits, but this is a mid-60s drum 2cv, so paintstripper.

Reply to
Adrian

Its probably water (moisture). Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years as over time it absorbs moisture.

And for safety's sake its a no brainier. IMHO

Reply to
Martin

Martin (nospam@ nospam.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, absolutely.

Agreed. There's no doubt this stuff's coming out and getting bled through with plenty of good clean new fluid. I'm just wondering why it's changed colour - is there some moisture-reactant dye in brake fluid? Is it likely to have toasted the master? I've *never* seen or heard of brake fluid doing this before. It's wierd. It's so *clear* and so *bright*, it really does look just like meths.

And, no, I don't think somebody's swapped me brake fluid for meths...

Reply to
Adrian

Silicon brake fluid is exactly that colour. Are you quite sure it didn't have DOT 5 in it?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

99.9999% and falling rapidly.

Is there any easy way to identify?

DOT5 isn't miscible with DOT3, is it? Nor is it hygroscopic?

Reply to
Adrian

Not sure about the first, the latter is certainly true. If you put DOT5 in a jam jar with some water, the water will remain seperate at the bottom and will return to that state even after shaking the jar vigourously. Never tried it with normal brake fluid, but I'd expect it to start getting messy...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

IIRC with DOT5 and DOT3 - never the twain shall meet.

Reply to
gazzafield