Priming shock absorbers

I've done pretty much all my own car maintenance since I started driving but I've never heard of priming shock absorbers before. Apparently extend and contract them a few times in the orientation they will be when on the car before fitting. I recently put new telescopic shocks on the rear of my car and it's sounding terrible. Every pothole results in a rapid series of clunks as if the suspension is bouncing, IE not much shock absorbing going on. I'll get out there and do the priming thing and see what happens. Question is, have I knackered the shocks by using them 'unprimed'.

Reply to
Periproct

It used to be necessary if shocks were stored/transported in a non- vertical alignment, but I've seen no reference to it recently. I believe it was done in order to get the fluid back to the reservoir part.

Try it by all means, but I'm not sure it will solve your present problem; I'd imagine that the fluid would have drained back to where it should be by now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for the reply. It's a BMW 325i and it failed the MOT on broken rear springs. I thought I might as well change the shocks at the same time as I occasionally carry a rear passenger with a back problem. I don't know how much shocks deteriorate over time but thought it can't do any harm. It did. :-) I'll get back under there and see what else I can find.

Reply to
Periproct

Presumably by being used on the car they have already extended and contracted a few times (in the orientation they will be when on the car)?

Reply to
David Taylor

Good point. :-) The only difference is, not to their full range. Having spoken to a friend, he said he'd never done the priming thing. I'm wondering if I've just got a pair of faulty new shocks or or damaged something when the suspension went to full extension.

Reply to
Periproct
[...]

Where did the shocks come from?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

German, Swedish and French. There were two available and on the spur of the moment I chose the more expensive on the off chance that they might be better.

Because I carry an 86 year old Mum with a back problem I had considered adjustable shocks but a google didn't show up anything that wasn't very expensive. I suppose coil springs are a consideration as well on that front..

Reply to
Periproct

Was the issue resolved after you "reprimed" the suspension? I Just put on new front struts and also forgot to prime. I'm also getting a rapid series of clunks and obviously am wondering if it's because I didn't prime. How did you manage to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
doof324