XJ Shock absorbers

Can somebody recommend what shocks I should buy for my 2001 Cherokee Sport? This car is driven by my wife, so I would like to have firm but smooth ride. I replaced the stock shocks in my 97 XJ with Gabriel Ultras and it rides real rough. Thanks Dave

Reply to
davebz1a

firm =/= smooth. :)

You can try the Edelbrock IAS or similar self adjustable shocks. They ride smooth but tighten up depending on the load seen. Or you could go with a pure adjustable RS9000 or similar with onboard air. :)

I've got the IAS shocks on mine and it's driven quite hard. The on-road is nice and smooth, but it corners on rails. It also takes a off-road hit quite nicely.

Reply to
DougW

I have Rancho RS5000s on the front and Gabriel Air (air adjustable) shocks on the rear of my daily driver. I think the ride is great. Tires are Michelin LTX M/S

Reply to
98XJ

I'll second the Mich LTX M/S Those were great tires and I'm going back to them next time.

Reply to
DougW

I'd go Gabriel again, maybe not the heavy duty. Just to let Sears break out your mounts and replace the necessary bolts:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I'll second the Edelbrock IAS. Tried both HD Monroes and HD Gabriel. Both stopped the nose dive but were overall too harsh on the street.

- Joe, 90XJ

Reply to
Joe M

Raising my hand for the Michelin LTX M/S on a 98 ZJ

Steve

Reply to
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net proclaimed:

Try the Edelbrock IAS. Not noticably firmer in a straight line on a smooth street, but firm up nicely in a hurry to get rid of the jeep dance. If you aren't already running Michelins, e.g. the LTX M+S, give them a try. Gets rid of the somewhat squirmy feeling of the typical Goodyear.

Speaking of Michelin, has anyone tried the new AT-2 yet? Seems like it might make a decent alternative to the M+S as a generic all around tire. [question coming from Colorado but front range where deep snow isnt an issue]

Reply to
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

Whereas I have the Rancho RS9000SX and even on a Grand Cherokee they remind you of the classic British Roadsters that used old bricks as shock absorbers. For the casual driver I'd have to recommend against the Rancho, particularly if you have loose back teeth.

Reply to
Lon