Red gunk on shocks, are they gone?

I was giving the car a full service and check over at the weekend. All but one of the shocks (both at front, one at rear) had a couple of mm's of red gunk down the sides of them. This seemed pretty much dried on now. I've only seen a shock that had recently gone and it looked more like a black oil. Handling seems fine, but I only know what it feels like when a rear shock goes.

If I remove the shocks in question, what should I look for? Little resistance to depressing it? Should it extract itself again, or is it standard for a used but working shock not to extract? Removing and replacing the shocks is quite simple. Actually having the experience to know a good shock from a bad one is a different matter.

The car has 82K on the clock and hasn't had the shocks replaced yet. Good or bad?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If the shock were leaking, the leak would show as a wet'ish film around the seal area. Seeing as the red gunk is dry, the chances are that the shocks are fine. Especially as you say the car still handles well.

82k is not an unusually high mileage for shocks. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

As you are probably aware the function of a shock absorber is to dampen the effect of the spring at a rough guide bounce each corner of the car in turn if the movement settles almost immediately then it is likely the shocks are working if the takes a while to settle then the shocks are no good.

Leaking shocks also normally have a wet oily deposit on them

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Yeah, that's what I thought or at least that's what I've seen in the past. The red/terracotta gunk must have built off the road.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim