Renault Safrane RXE V6 Auto 1994 please advise.

I am about to make an offer on one and I would be most grateful for advice on some maintenance issue before I buy:

Is it possible to buy an English language workshop manual?

Is it sufficiently similar to the Laguna to be possible to get useful insights from the Laguna Haynes manual?

Are there any things peculiar to the Safrane I should re-check before handing over cash?

The car has some kind of compressor in nearside of the boot space. What does this do and how can I test that it's working properly?

There are some exposed drilled holes to the right of the (automatic) gear lever as if something has been removed. Does anyone know what this might have been?

Does it use a timing belt or chain and is it particularly difficult to replace? (How often should it be done?)

Many thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Piekos

screwed to the dash which would indicate it may of been a compony car. HTH Simon.

Reply to
simon

They're not bad cars, but I wouldn't give more than £500 even for an absolutely immaculate one.

Reply to
SteveH

Is it sufficiently similar to the Laguna to be possible to get useful insights from the Laguna Haynes manual? Very different car. I doubt if it will help at all.

Are there any things peculiar to the Safrane I should re-check before handing over cash? Whether all of the little switches and gadgets work. The odds are they aren't all working as most didn't work from new. It was a nice car to drive but expensive to maintain.

The car has some kind of compressor in nearside of the boot space. What does this do and how can I test that it's working properly? Height adjustable rear suspension? Pump it up/down using a forecourt pressure gauge.

There are some exposed drilled holes to the right of the (automatic) gear lever as if something has been removed. Does anyone know what this might have been? Mobile phone bracket?

Does it use a timing belt or chain and is it particularly difficult to replace? (How often should it be done?) Service book should show this?

Reply to
Alan