Renault Clio Auto problem comment please.

Started OK. Went to the shop, stopped, set alarm. Came out freed alarm. turned key... nothing. Usual warning lights on but no engine start.

The gear lever is stuck in P.

If you use emergency button to free gear lever, you can, but the transmission brake is not functioning. neither does it affect the problem.

Radio works, alarm functions lights work.

Disconnected battery to see if that would trip something when reconnected but no use.

I checked the belt. I did have that fail once and it stopped the car. That is OK.

Only thing I can think of is that to get to the shop I travel over speed bumps. I like my car so I am careful. I am wondering if something shook loose.

Reply to
LB

I mean automatic by the way. RXE T Reg! Never had a problem with it.

Reply to
LB

Starter inhibitor switch? A bit modern for me, so is that all done with black boxes now?

I can't start my 75 ayto in park, but as it starts in both park and neutral, I simply use neutral, maybe the Renault's like that too. Although my problem is I haven't lined up the selector linkage properly after having the engine and box out, and I've been too lazy to get under there and sort it when the car works fine otherwise :)

Reply to
Stuffed

The message from "Stuffed" contains these words:

I've just replaced the starter motor on my wife's auto Clio with identical symptoms 'cos the solenoid was weak and she was fed up with having to get me to come and poke it with the handle of the squeegee to free it. Starts a treat now.

Reply to
Guy King

Tyhat sounds helpful.... thank you.

I was thinking about engine management modules. Still mightb be I suppose but thank you

Reply to
LB