Suggestions for attaching plastic bodykit

The 75 has one very dodgy rear arch. It's so dodgy that the plastic arch extender is no longer attached to anything. Mainly because there's no metal for it to attach to.....

Now, I know I should be making plans to have this sorted - but this is all in hand. (The new job contract gives me a 20% guaranteed bonus for 6 months, paid in cash at the end of the financial year..... so next year I'll be punting the old girl in for a partial restoration).

Anyway, back to the point. I've currently attached the arch extender using duct tape, however, when this gets wet, it needs replacing.... any ideas for a semi-permanent solution to see me through until next spring?

Reply to
SteveH

Velcro ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Heh.

Actually, you might be on to something there. I'll have a look at the industrial strength stuff we have at work.

I was toying with the idea of silicon bath sealant (it's the right colour and would appear to be up to the job. Plus I have some kicking around the garage)

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote

any

Get rid of it and buy a decent car?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

No More Nails?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not a bad suggestion as such. However, I need it to be only semi-permanent and easy to remove. Plastic for 75s isn't exactly common, so I'll be wanting to use all the kit on my car when I have it sorted.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

NO NO NO NO NO NO

Use bath sealant, and there'll be less metal in very short order - you want a sealant that doesn't cure with acidic byproducts wot'll eat the steel like a hungry fat bastard in front of a large pile of cream cakes.

Proper automotive body sealants, yes. Bath sealant, NO.

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmmm, I'm not sure where to get proper automotive sealant around here. My local proper motor factors has gone titsup.com.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Adrian

Get it done properly. By the time you've continued to bodge it, you=20 could have had it repaired properly and possibly for less. My local=20 bodyshop charged me =A3100 to have a 6" section welded in the rear arch=20 of my old 620 including painting in metallic.

--=20 Conor

Who the f*ck said I was trying to endear myself to anyone?

Reply to
Conor

I bet my Capri will outlast your 75.

Reply to
Conor

Err buy better duct tape, LeMark make nice duxt tape, or use expanding foam filler.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Which part of temporary solution to see me through until I have the body properly restored did you have a problem understanding?

Reply to
SteveH

Mechano? Or other perforated strip. Screw plastic to end of strip, bend to fit and screw to somewhere up inside wheel arch where there is metal. Of course the hole will be a new site for the rot to start eating the car from.

Peter Hill

And the solution was......

hot glue gun.

It looks pretty bad under there, might have to have it looked at sooner rather than later.

I'll see what the MOT guy says in September. Rest of the car is fine - the front edge of the bonnet might need looking at at some point, but the rest is still looking pretty damned solid considering it's age.

Probably madness to spend a couple of grand on a 75 TSpark, but I'll do it anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Just remind me how much welding you've recently had on your Crapi?

Besides, one of my "fleet" is 1962 and has never been welded.

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

What, not even when it was assembled? What did they do, Evo-Stik it together?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Knight Of The Road ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

YKWIM...

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

Nine Inch Nail.

If you're going to be replacing metal anyway, just screw it on :)

Actually... a very good glue is that expanding foam stuff.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

"SteveH" wrote

Why?