Volvo V70 auto diesel - auto box life

Folks, quick Q.

I'm looking at a V70 D5 - 2003. It's been used for airport runs for it's whole life, so has done ~ 250k miles mostly on motorways. It's got a full Volvo service history at a reputable volvo franchise about 10 miles away - but I don't have the reg no so I can't call and discuss it with them.

What's the collective feeling on the expected life of the Auto box?

Should I be very afraid about something with an auto and uer high miles like this?

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Well, this would be hard to judge on a car which has done high miles mostly in top very quickly, but Volvo Auto boxes on the 850 and 70series Classics where there was no stipulated fluid change interval tend to last from about

100k miles on the 850 to about 150k miles on the later cars, which used an improved fluid, and the box was redesigned into a 5 speeder.

I havent heard of any 5 speed auto failures, yet, but then I have not had any cars with 250k on them!

I would talk specifically to the servicing dealer to find out if it's ever had any fluid changes, otherwise you should be buying the car very cheap and budgeting to replace the box when it does go!

Also, the D5 has well documented injector problems which 'wear' out usually around 3yrs or 80-100k miles ish, again difficult to say exactly when but it seems to be a combination of both time and mileage.

The tell tail sign of this is poor starting, spluttering and smoke when started from cold. You must view the car when its stone cold (preferably having sat for at least 24hrs) and check its cold start performance. It should start almost immediately the glow plug light goes off, and on all cylinders straight away. Any roughness is bad news.

A set of injectors fitted and calibrated is a grand give or take some pocket change!

Shame its not a 2.4t manual or similar, these will do acres of miles with no problems!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for all that tim...

When I know more about it I will ask the question.

Ahh now I know it's just had these done - second set - and it cost £600 - but then the chap gets a very favourable rate from the volvo dealers - wouldn't you if you were taking 30 D5's there - on average once every 9 weeks! He was telling me that every D5 has done this and they know what to expect now - in fact the volvo dealers has become very good at doing the work very quickly as they get so many cars with it from him :)

Couldn't afford the petrol! SWMBO needs an Auto owing to arthuritus problems and I'll be doing more miles so the Diesel Auto is the way to go -

*if* we can find a good one....

Cheers for the words of advice

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

It must be cheap. They're known to last forever if maintained well, problem is that Volvo don't specify autobox fluid intervals, 60-100k is recommended by many users, they tend to fail at 150-200 if not changed.

If you get a good one that's well looked after (and motorway miles isn't gonna stress it at all) then it'll be good for a while - though a lot of suspension and other components will be on their way now.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What's your spend? There's lots of old shape C classes, Passats, A classes, Rover 75s etc with diesel+auto.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Dan delaMare-Lyon ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If she can still pull the sword from the stone, she can't be that bad yet.

Reply to
Adrian

The smallest amount possible as she has me penned in for new kitchen this year which means new boiler too - the car was going to cost about

3k - but I am now told it's not available (I'm too late) and the next one won't be along for about a year from the same source as it's only 2 years old now - yah boo hiss...

I'd say 6k tops

The other thought is a petrol that's converted to LPG - thoughts on that??

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

A middle age 75 CDTi (i = factory power upgrade-essential with the auto- or buy standard and chip it) diesel auto estate would be the way to go if you want a Derv burner.

The 4 speed Jatco is regarded as reliable and aside from other small issues (rad fans packing up being the most common) the 75 is a fairly reliable machine.

Well the business runs a '97 V90 3.0 LPG'd auto estate with 280k miles on it, quiet, smooth, goes like hell, and does 300miles on £23. Take your choice.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dpjnd3$on5$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Thanks Tim, I'll take a look. - have to admit we both liked the 75 when we looked at it - but SWMBO is a bit hesitant now Rover has gone a tad titsup.com!

Hmmm - what did the conversion cost? I looked at converting an 850 a while ago and the *only* place interested was in Portsmouth or somewhere equally useless to someone in Suffolk and they wanted £1500+vat...

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

It has a SGi system (can't remmeber which one) with a 60litre dohnut tank which cost £1600+ VAT 3 yrs ago, and was done at 110,000miles.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dpmdqi$cvr$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Thanks Tim, most useful - sounds like we are talking about the same system!

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon