VW windscreen problem

I have a VW which is coming up eight months old. I don't use it much so haven't noticed the problem until the recent rain.

When the weather is wet I am getting patterns/streaks in the glass not unlike I get when the car has been soaped and washed before it is rinsed. The patterns are not noticeable when it's dry.

Tonight it was pouring down and I really could not see through the windscreen due to the defractions (right word?) of oncoming headlights.

Getting home I tried polishing the inside and outside of the windscreen but no way do the patterns go. On a very small sample area I tried meths' and Mr Sheen but the patterns/streaks won't budge.

It is at its worst when starting up from cold. I can't drive the car until the windscreen is warmed right up due to the patterns/streaks.

The car is obviously under warranty and came from a main dealer so I don't want to mess about too much.

Is this a known problem? If it is not raining when I go to the garage it is going to be a bit hard to explain to them what is wrong. I am wondering if the car was treated with something before it was delivered and the something has ate into the glass.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Paul J

Forgot to say that the streaks are in the same place all of the time. I.e it is not a wiper blade problem.

Reply to
Paul J

Bought new?

Did you pay for some kind of "diamond-hard" paint protection?

Reply to
Adrian

Bought new?

Did you pay for some kind of "diamond-hard" paint protection?

Reply to
Adrian

No, the car was an ex demo though so might have had something done to it that I am unaware of before delivery.

It looks like the glass itself has possibly been etched into as I can't see any defining edges to the streaks from the outside or inside neither will a fingernail find any edges.

I'm wondering if it is something done when the two pieces of glass were put together if that is how windscreens are still made but it seems strange that I only notice it in the wet.

Reply to
Paul J

Very likely a paint-protection coating, then. It's like a very, very hard wax.

Unlikely, since the outer sheet of glass and the inner sheet of glass are single sheets - the lamination is the inner layer of plastic to prevent shattering.

Reply to
Adrian

Very likely a paint-protection coating, then. It's like a very, very hard wax.

Unlikely, since the outer sheet of glass and the inner sheet of glass are single sheets - the lamination is the inner layer of plastic to prevent shattering.

Reply to
Adrian

Very likely a paint-protection coating, then. It's like a very, very hard wax.

Unlikely, since the outer sheet of glass and the inner sheet of glass are single sheets - the lamination is the inner layer of plastic to prevent shattering.

Reply to
Adrian

Silicone-based polishes like Mr Sheen are the worst thing to try. They will add to the problem. As Adrian has intimated, it's likely that valeting before you took delivery has left some of the paint protection on the screen.

Try an abrasive type of cleaner. You can get that from Halfrauds or similar, or use a domestic cleaner like Cif. You might have to use it several times to get it all off.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That was my initial thought Chris but why would such protection be applied to the inside of a cars windscreen or has it just been put on slap dashed and strayed onto the inside glass? Surely if that were the case the side windows would also be affect which they are not.

I'm pretty convinced it is a manufacture problem but obviously a potentially dangerous one.

Reply to
Paul J

The muppet doing the valeting used the same bit of rag for everything?

In which case you need to make the dealer aware of your concerns at the first available opportunity.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That's a nasty echo you have going on.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Yeh, I noticed... T'internet was dog slow here yesterday, and I think my news client was assuming the server had timed out.

Reply to
Adrian

Booked in for next week. The guys initial reaction was that it could well be a valeting problem.

Reply to
Paul J

Car went into VW Bath who confidently diagnosed an over eager valeter. They said they found a wax substance on the windscreen and that it was thoroughly removed with GO52 164 M2 whatever that is.

Just got to wait for it to rain now to test it.

Reply to
Paul J
[...]

It's the VAG part number for screenwash!

It contains alcohol, so may well remove a waxy deposit.

I still swear by Cif or similar abrasive for this problem however...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan