Airbag SOMETIMES blinks four times

I know that four blinks is "Faulty S-sensor" but mine only blinks four times occasionally. It seems that if its wet outside, then its more likely to do the blinking. Sometimes it seems that if I start the car with the steering wheel turned to the left or right (like when you've parked po9inting up or down a hill), then occasionally it will do the four blinky thing.

Am I right to assume that the sensor is intermittently failing? Or is there a common fix to this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Sounds more like a bad connection/ground to me. The Enthusiast Manual has detailed instructions, Haynes just a wiring diagram.

Warning: the airbag is an explosive system. Testing continuity across the airbag is potentially lethal. I assume so is static electricity.

The way I understand it, and don't blame me if I am wrong, at a minimum you need to disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait five minutes for a condensor to discharge a bit, and then disconnect blue and orange connectors; one set for the steering wheel bag below the steering column and one set for the dash one behind the glove compartment. Orange first. Press the release catches. If they do not come apart, you are probably trying to pull them apart in the wrong direction. They should come loose fairly easily. Then stay away from those connectors.

Make sure you do not create shorts cleaning contacts and grounds. Do not try to repair any damaged cable; get a replacement from trussvillemazda.com or the dealer.

When first turning on the ignition afterwards, stand outside the car, and reach below the steering wheel; do not sit in it. Better your car destroyed than you.

As always, keep your seat back and the steering wheel at arm's length while driving.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen