Airbag light flashes 6 times

The airbag light on my 1990 Taurus has just started flashing 6 times, stops and then repeats.

Anyone know what this error code means?

Do I have to be concerned about the airbag inflating, or is this an indication that a sensor or controller is fried and the system is no longer functioning?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Cecile

afaik (buyer beware and all that)

89-91 code #6 = Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance

fyi 92 + the code is 2 digits (flash - pause - flash ... repeat)

as a wild guess ... it could be corrosion on the connections ... BUT unless you really know what you're doing .. I would not recommend poking around. Deploying a bag could be an expensive.

just tell the service guy the code and they should tell you the damage ... for the age of your vehicle I'd look at contact corrosion first .. if they start talking sensors out of the gate .. I'd probably get another esitimate (but theres no rhyme or reason other than going for the less costly

if you do know ... disable the system according to your model's specifics (mine is ignition off ... detach negative terminal at battery ... detach positive ... wait 2 minutes for the module backup power supply to deplete)

I haven't played with airbags .. so I'm only repeating what I read my vehicle don;t seem to rate safety features :) got talc ? Drysuit talc & bags

Ed

Clockspring, under the steering wheel.

Reply to
Michael O

Had that on my '90 Taurus. It was te clock spring on the column. Strange it failed immediately after replacement of steering rack.

Reply to
lugnut

6 - Driver-Side Air Bag Circuit - Open or High Resistance

The system is disabled. You need to get it repaired by a professional.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White