Cost for crank angle sensor

I have a Mazda Protoge 1994 model which failed to start, so I took it to the garage. They told me the problem is the crank angle sensor and that no-one makes that part - I have to replace the distributor which is 450 dollars plus labor/tax making 650 in total. When working(!) the car is worth 1200 (Blue Book value).

I'm a bit of a novice about cars and wanted to hear opinions on this situation. Has anyone faced the problem before - know of any other (preferably cheaper) options?

Reply to
spasmous

I was thinking this car shared the miata engine, the term Crank Angle Sensor is sometimes used interchangeably with the term Cam Angle Sensor. Several things seem odd to me. The CAS is pretty common for the miatas/protégés? Miata's don't have distributers, does your car have a distributor (round shaped plastic cap that the spark plug wires exit out of when heading to the plugs)? Miata parts, if interchangeable, are usually plentiful / cheap. Hopefully someone here can confirm a couple of those things.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

i suppose the mechanic also said that they would be willing to buy the car from you... check out

as they have several distributors to choose from ranging from $175-$250. i know a garage is entitled to some markup but not

100%. i don't see much reason to install an expensive oem part in this car if that is what the mechanic is suggesting (as implied by that price) but if it is not oem then they are just trying to rip you off. take it to another mechanic.
Reply to
Christopher Muto

On my 02 Miata I paid a local garage $120 for the sensor and 1 labor hour to get it installed.

The dealer wanted $400 for the same job.

Reply to
Dan Fraser

I have experience with 1997/98 Proteges. They have a distributor which is driven by one of the cams. Rotor, cap, wires...it's all there. No points, though.

I don't know much about the 1994 versions. I think that was what they call the "gen1" Protege.

Ken

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

Reply to
KWS

Do you have wreckers whereever you live? Distributor is usually fairly simple to replace, and a second hand one should be cheap.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

I'm assuming "wreckers" is an Aussie term for our "junkyard" ? correct me if I'm wrong, please....

Reply to
Remove This

He's referring to tow trucks I think. You know, get it home and fix it yourself.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

No "wreckers" is what we call a wrecking yard here in Oz, Junkyard for others I believe.

| > I'm assuming "wreckers" is an Aussie term for our "junkyard" ? | > correct me if I'm wrong, please.... | >

Reply to
Justin

That's funny! You know it 'works' either way :-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I know, was just being a silly arse, now which way you going to spell "arse"? ass?

Cheers

| |

Reply to
Justin

What can we expect when you 'blokes' pronounce Mazda as Mazder ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo