Downshifting 101, Part Deuxx (2-1 & heel-and-toe)

Hello everyone. For those of you who missed out before, this series is about me learning to downshift (CGGW is my first stick-shift car). Right now where I'm at is, I've gotten to the point where I can do

3-2, 4-3, and 5-4 downshifts with reasonable rev-matching, but they aren't automatic like upshifting is - I need a couple seconds to set my brain beforehand. That's okay for now I guess, I figure more practicing will help.

I do have a couple more questions though. First of all, is there any reason not to try doing 2-1 downshifts? I vaguely recall reading something about the syncros or some other relevant parts of the trannies in some cars being different w.r.t. this shift, and so it was not recommended because of mechanical issues. Haven't tried it other than when the car has slowed to a crawl, and don't seem to need to on the street. The reason I am thinking of learning it is if it will come in handy in the future for autocross. I saw a couple of autocross videos on YouTube and it looks like there are sometimes pretty slow corners or even hairpins.

Other than possible mechanical issues, the main difference with a 2-1 downshift that I can see is, a more dramatic adjustment is needed matching revs, like almost double. (And that would be a reason why doing it at 4000 rpm in 2nd would not be such a good idea.)

The other question is for heel-and-toe. CGGW is an '03 Shinsen version (NB) btw. Are the pedals in this vintage of Miata well set-up for trying H&T? I have only even attempted it a few times, it's tricky. Right now I am thinking to brake with the toe or ball of my right foot and then use the heel for blipping the throttle while downshifting. And it seems like the braking needs to be at least medium-hard, because without the brake pedal going down enough your right foot is not on a good level to be working the throttle with its heel.

As you can probably tell by now, any tips would be appreciated.

TIA & ZZ Eric

Reply to
earache

Syncros were at first only on higher gears, in some old cars there is no syncro on first. Most cars made since the late 60s have syncros on all forward gears. The Miatas, like most modern cars have syncros on all forward gears. Syncro reverse is uncommon, meaning with most cars you need to stop before selecting reverse.

The 2-1 downchange is probably not needed if you are just pottering around town, but for tight corners on autocross, it is essential! I heel-toe no worries in my '94, but I am not sure it actaully accomplishes much.

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Not very often. I'd try slipping the clutch in 2nd before I'd waste time on a 2-1 downshift followed inevitably by an immediate upshift.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I feel like I need it all the time - the timing on stoplights etc is invariably set to change just as I roll up, so that a gear 1.5 would be perfect.

miker

Reply to
miker

So, essentially, you're saying you/ I /We need a "7 speed"? Actually makes those new CVT's sound nice.

Reply to
Remove This

Hmph. The *worst* thing about a CVT is the sound--a boring, constant-pitch drone.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Last summer I had occasion to rent a Dodge Caliber with the CVT.

I liked it, it seemed to work as well as any other automatic.

The car itself was interesting, really weird looking, incredibly practical. Anne really liked it and wants one, my son drove it and was very impressed with the ergonomics of it. Interesting.

Reply to
XS11E

I'd agree with Lanny, most autocrosses are set up to where you pretty much stay in second. There are of course exceptions.

To the OP, I'd add a couple of things, I rarely ever downshift thru every gear. In normal driving I usually will downshift from 5 to 3 to 2 or 5 to 4 to 2 then plugging into 1st when I come to a full stop. With the NB there's just enough torque that if the cars rolling AT ALL, second works real good to get you up and going smoothly. Secondly, keep in mind that heal and toeing sometimes means the right side of the ball of your foot operates the gas and the left side of the ball of your foot operates the brake. H&T'g has never worked very well for me but I'm horribly bowed legged and whatever you call the opposite of pigeon toed, I guess I'm that too ;-) I can however still walk and chew gum........

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo