Door locks and keys...strange things part 1&2!

Hello,

Strange thing 1:

Just recently my doors have taken to locking themselves on their own as I drive along ( 99 2.0 Ghia 5 door ) I hear about 4 clicks then they lock. Any ideas?

Strange thing 2:

Some months ago my remote key stopped working and it was not the battery as I tried a few new ones so on last weeks service when I got the car back I was amazed to find it now works? Ford did ask me if I wanted the key doing but I declined on reasons of cost. Anyway its the same key and I certainly was not charged for any key work so once again any ideas?

Thanks.

John.

Reply to
JG

My remote got weaker. I replaced the batteries twice to no avail. I tried various methods to align the transmitter to the car also unsuccessfully.

I needed the same size battery for a doorbell, so I took the one out of my key. I didn't get round to replacing it for a month or so. It then started working again! It fact, it's range seems better than when the car was new.

That was over a year ago and it still works. I'm sorry this doesn't directly answer Strange thing 2, but does show that the failure mode can be intermittent. I also wonder whether leaving the battery out for an extended period forces the key to re-learn it's settings?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris that was interesting to read, perhaps that might be the case when the battery is removed for a long period of time. I cant actually remember if I removed the battery or not. Something to bear in mind for the future though.

John

Reply to
JG

I remember reading -- somewhere -- that if you don't use a worn-down battery for a while, they sometimes "bounce back." That is, if you rest the battery for a while, and then use it again, it will appear to have a bit more juice than the last time you used it. This effect is temporary, as you might imagine, and you'll eventually need to get a new battery.

Perhaps something similar is happening in the case of your key battery. (By the way, I'm in the States. I assume you're talking about the button battery that goes in the key fob, right?)

Reply to
Benjamin Robinson

i work in a main dealer(in the uk)we can not do any additonal work without the owners consent-its illegal i think. your remote was just reproggrammed by the technician who done the service(it only takes about

10 sec's to do) after you said no, he could't go back and unproggramme it so hes just moved onto his next vehicle

as for item 1- could be many things without listening myself is it recyling? is the clicking noise from a door latch assy? or from the module maybe a wiring problem?

Reply to
ford_technical_

Yes, the coin sized cell. In the UK, the remote function is built in to the key, not a separate fob. The principle of operation is the same however.

I should have made it clearer that the battery I fitted to to the remote that eventually made it work was a new one.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I did think the likely thing was that it was re-programmed. 10 seconds huh... not bad at over £40 per go. Nice work if you can get it.

As for the clicking it sounds like its coming from the doors, but then I'm not totally sure. Where abouts is the module?

Reply to
JG

its called the GEM module its the black one next to the silver PCM module at the drivers footwell

warning though!! if you disconnect the gem module you might lose the memory of the remote fob and may need reproggraming again.

while your in the footwell there check the carpets and underfelt for water ingress

Reply to
ford_technical_