Q: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

Went to have my tires rotated yesterday, but the guy said he couldn't find the "wheel lock." Does he mean "wheel lock key?" At any rate, what does this look like? I can't find anything like this in my car. Awhile back I found something that looked like it went with a ratchet set and I didn't know what it was, so I gave it to my brother (thought someone left it in my car). Was that it?

Thanks,

Brooke

bcainasks wrote:

yes

At any rate,

The lock key is a piece of metal, a few inches long and, if I remember correctly, a little smaller around than a toilet tissue roll (without the paper). One end has six sides and fits into the lug wrench, the other end has a design that is specific to the lugnut on the car.

HTH,

Pat '96M

Yes.

Yes.

It looks sort of like a socket. One end fits on the goofy-looking lug nut, and the lug wrench fits over the other end. After having the "key" insert in mine start falling off, I finally ditched the goofy lug nuts and have normal ones now.

Has anybody with a Miata ever had wheels stolen?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Now I understand the
at meaning of "THE MOD SQUAD"!

Grant Edwards wrote:

I've never heard of it, maybe with some big aftermarket wheels. I ditched my wheel locks as well, they looked none too good to me.

Pat '96M

Probably the wheel lock key since it looks like it goes in a ratchet (actually a lug wrench) and should have been somewhere in your car since you can't change a tire without it. I keep mine with the lug wrench in the trunk of the car. If you can't get it back from your brother, you may be able to get a copy from the manufacture if you know who that is and the lock was registered. Otherwise, you'll need to take it to a mechanic to have the locking lug removed from each wheel (not sure how they will do this, perhaps a big set of vice grips with a long cheater bar). Good luck!

Gus (91 BRG)

Gus wrote:

My father had to have the wheel locks removed from his Exploder once, and I believe it involved a grinder.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply...

At least, then they do prevent wheels being stolen, except maybe by the most hardworking thief. :)

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen :) Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
To reply to me, the word Miata must be in the subject.

That's the trouble with anti theft devices. You only really know when they don't work. For all I know, I've been putting up with the hassle of wheel locks and the club for nothing since my car may never have been the target of a thief.

Gus (91 BRG)