Q: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

Threaded View
Went to have my tires rotated yesterday, but the guy said he couldn't
find the "wheel lock." Does he mean "wheel lock key?" At any rate,
what does this look like? I can't find anything like this in my car.
Awhile back I found something that looked like it went with a ratchet
set and I didn't know what it was, so I gave it to my brother (thought
someone left it in my car). Was that it?

Thanks,

Brooke

Re: Q: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

yes

At any rate,

The lock key is a piece of metal, a few inches long and, if I remember
correctly, a little smaller around than a toilet tissue roll (without
the paper). One end has six sides and fits into the lug wrench, the
other end has a design that is specific to the lugnut on the car.

HTH,

Pat
'96M

Re: Q: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

Yes.

Yes.

It looks sort of like a socket.  One end fits on the
goofy-looking lug nut, and the lug wrench fits over the other
end.  After having the "key" insert in mine start falling off,
I finally ditched the goofy lug nuts and have normal ones now.

Has anybody with a Miata ever had wheels stolen?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now I understand the
                                  at               meaning of "THE MOD SQUAD"!
I've never heard of it, maybe with some big aftermarket wheels. I
ditched my wheel locks as well, they looked none too good to me.

Pat
'96M

Re: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

Probably the wheel lock key since it looks like it goes in a ratchet
(actually a lug wrench) and should have been somewhere in your car since you
can't change a tire without it.  I keep mine with the lug wrench in the
trunk of the car.  If you can't get it back from your brother, you may be
able to get a copy from the manufacture if you know who that is and the lock
was registered.  Otherwise, you'll need to take it to a mechanic to have the
locking lug removed from each wheel (not sure how they will do this, perhaps
a big set of vice grips with a long cheater bar).  Good luck!

Gus (91 BRG)

Re: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

My father had to have the wheel locks removed from his Exploder once, and I
believe it involved a grinder.

tooloud
Remove nothing to reply...

Re: what's the wheel lock (or key?) look like

At least, then they do prevent wheels being stolen, except maybe
by the most hardworking thief.  :)

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen :)    Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
  To reply to me, the word Miata must be in the subject.

That's the trouble with anti theft devices.  You only really know when they
don't work.  For all I know, I've been putting up with the hassle of wheel
locks and the club for nothing since my car may never have been the target
of a thief.

Gus (91 BRG)

Site Timeline