cam seal leads to cracked block??? i'm desperate please help!

owners say car needs cam seal, thermostat (stuck) and timing belt. i am considering purchasing this vehicle but i am worried that this combonation spells cracked block or a blown head (friends say this).

i have tried talking to a couple of mechanics and all they say is "bring it in and we'll look at it, we can't say for sure unless we look at it". i understand where they are coming from, but i'm not wanting nor would i expect someone to say "i'm 100% sure its _____", without actually looking at it. all i am asking is what is the percentage that it is a cracked block or blown head based on what i am told the car needs?

i hope someone here can help me with this, clearly i don't know too much about cars and i'm in a bit of a jam plus a little frustrated, so i apologize if i seem to have an attitude.

thank you for any and all of your time.

Reply to
Allen Tyler

Your mechanics are right. It's impossible to accurately diagnose with only a description. With my experience with Mazda motors, I would say a cracked block is not very likely. A blown head gasket or a cracked head is quite possible. The leaking cam shaft seal and timing belt are no big deal. When they say the thermostat is stuck, if it's "stuck" in the closed position (translation - engine is running hot) then there is a good chance the head gasket is blown or possibly the head is cracked. See if you can get them to remove the belt that drives the water pump. With the engine cold, fill the radiator to within about 3/4" of over- flowing. Leave the radiator cap off and start the engine but don't let it run for more than a minute. Watch the water in the radiator. If you see a lot of bubbles coming up through the water or the water starts to overflow the radiator, don't buy the car. It has a blown head gasket or a cracked head.

Reply to
John

"Allen Tyler" wrote in news:6xU0h.394$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.lga:

They're correct, you need to take it in. The work you outline will be pretty costly and there may be other problems such as brakes, tranmission, suspension, etc. I'd find another car to purchase, sounds to me like that one has not been maintained properly.

Reply to
XS11E