Fixing Cracked Block

RayO and others have panned Bar's Leak and other similar products. I tend to agree with their comments but I am in a bit of a bind on a non-Toyota (old Ford pickup). I just dropped a rebuilt engine in. For the rebuild I used a block that had been cracked. The machinist fixed the crack (between freeze plugs) but it appears to be leaking. The leak is minimal right now, just a tiny bit of residue. I really don't want to pull this engine again so I am looking for a fix. I should add that the rebuild itself if a quality build and that I push this engine a bit (maybe up to 5 or 5.5K RPM on occasion. So what do everyone suggest for something to prevent the leak from gettng worse? Oh, I'm in Arizona and we only get a few days of freezing temperatures. Heat is the culprit around here. Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

Why not try the bars leak? Ford puts it in vehicles at the factory...

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

This scenario is where I would recommend Bars Leak - a case where the cost of a normal repair would be out of line with the vehicle's value or the owner's willingness to pay for the repair.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, guys. Bar's Leak it is! I examined the block closely yesterday and it doesn't appear to be leaking so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The lesson here is to stay away from cracked blocks. I was looking for a good

390 builder, couldn't find one and took a chance. Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

Well, for starters, stop pushing it to the 5 or 5.5k RPM markers. Give the poor old thing a break before it breaks.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What is an "old Ford?" 289 or one of the long stroke engines ... it makes a difference regarding winging the RPM up to 5500. Either way, these old push rod engines were not intended for that sort of thing. Chevys are sort of elastic but Fords store those abuses and then one day explode like so much glass.

Reply to
Philip