1970 280S with 1969 Engine, head stamp says "250"?

I need to replace the distributor on a 1970 280S, but, was told the engine was swapped with a 1969 280S engine. After closer inspection, the head says "108 016 05 01" And, towards the back of the head it says "250". So, did the person who did the engine swap 20 years ago incorrectly install a 250 engine? My challenge is, when looking for the correct distributor, there are 3 different options for the 1969

280S engine, each for the automatic transmission. The distributor has 51648 stamped on it.

Is it possible that the incorrect engine size was installed in this car? I'm really confused as to the 250 stamp on the head. I'm guessing that either the 250 head was interchangable with the 280 block, or, there is a 250 engine under the hood.

It has the dual downdraft 4 barrel carburetors on it.

-Ted

Reply to
Ted Grevers

Yup. That is an engine from a 250S, vintage 1966-1968.

Bill Ditmire Ditmire Motorworks,Inc.

425 White Horse Pike Absecon,NJ 08201
609-641-3392
Reply to
Bill Ditmire

Bill,

But what has me confused then, is, that the head casting says "108

016" Which, I would think refers to the 108 chassis, 016 denoting 2.8 engine? Is this incorrect?

-Ted

Reply to
Ted Grevers

Check the block for engine # Between 5 and 6 spark plug.

Reply to
AJDalton7