1994 e420 have to hold gas down to start car when cold??

The car is now barely driveable. When its cold it will just crank and crank and crank but when you hold the gas down(like a carburated car) then it starts and then you have to hold the gas down to keep it running
until it gets warm. When it gets warm it will idle perfectly but you try to drive it you have to barely touch the gas to take off or it will stall?? What on earth is going on?? Thanks Nel
Sounds like the engine temperature sensor for the fuel injection system is faulty... so it didn't tell the computer that the engine is cold... so it didn't squirt extra fuel to start it up.
Hello:) Thanks for the reply. Would it still cause the car to barely run when its warm as well?? Any ideas on where it is located? Thank You:)Nel
What do you mean barely run when warm... you said idle perfect when warm.
Hello:) It will idle perfectly when warm but when you put it in drive and touch the gas it will barely run. It tries to stall..I have to barely touch the gas to accelerate..
Do you have check engine light on?
I just purchased the car and I think the owner pulled a quick one....check engine light does not come on but that is on the agenda for this week to replace the bulb which Im sure will be missing when I pull the cluster..Thanks Tiger!!

First thing I'd check withthat symptom is the fuel filter(s).
How many fuel filters are there?? Thanks:)Nel
Richard Sexton wrote:

I would be very interested in this. My '89 300E suffers from the same issue. I have changed the Filter, and fuel pump relay. The only way to keep it from stalling is to either mash the pedal (Bad for mileage), or accelerate slowly. BUt is does fine when cold (except not wanting to hold it's idle till it is a little warm.)
Either it does not get sufficient fuel supply (pump/filter/pressure regulator) or computer gives order to wrong mixture (maybe in limp home mode).
I had exactly that symptom due to a defective air mass sensor.
Be careful, lean operation may harm catalytic converter (and that can be expensive).
/Jens
Richard Sexton wrote:

Thanks to everyone that helped out! I now have a list to start with but wont be able to get to it for a couple of weeks....I will post to let everyone no the outcome. Thanks Again!:)Nel
I have a 94 E420 too and it loves a one hour plus, consistant high speed drive on the highway, from time to time. Car starts, runs, idles smoother. These cars need to be driven. I guess the consistant; vibration, heat, vacuum, oil and fuel pressures align all of the E420's complex operating systems. Short drives create inconsistantency between operating systems.
I 'm not sure if this will help you with your problem but it may be worth a try...
Good Luck, Fredrik