Hard to start FI when cold...

I have a 77 Bug with stock FI. When cold, it's hard to start unless I keep giving it gas. I adjusted the idle to help on startup. It starts fine, but when it's warmed up the idle RPM's are high. I'm pretty sure my cold start valve (injector) is working.

Anything else I should check?

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

Hi Mel

I also have a 77 bug with stock FI (CA emissions). Mine was doing like yours pretty much since I've had it (about 2 years), not as bad as first but slowly getting worse. I replaced the auxiliary air valve and the difference was amazing. It roars to life when the key is turned, and as it warms up the idle slowly drops. I don't dread turning the key anymore. In fact, I think I'll go out and start it right now.

If you remove the aux air valve and look through the openings where the hoses attach, you should be able to look straight though if it's cold--there will be a funny looking half-moon-like portal. This portal closes off as the engine warms. My old valve was closed up when I removed it when it was cold.

Also, you say your cold start valve is working--is the thermotime switch that controls it also working?

Hope your problem is something easy like this-- Ted

Reply to
Ted