2.8 I6 high revs?

I have a lovely 95 C280 which I recently purchased. At 70 MPH this car's engine turns at about 3000 RPM. It seems awfully high. Does this sound right?
PS - at what intervals on this car should the transmission fluid be changed?
3,000 RPM at 70 MPH is about right. Your car has a 4 speed hydraulic (4th is a 1:1 ratio), as opposed to the newer 5 speed electronic boxes (5th is an overdrive ratio); the engine then runs at 2,500 RPM at 70 MPH.
If the transmission has a dip stick have its fluid and filter changed every 30K miles.
MBUSA will send you a maintenance schedule for your car.