High tensile bolts 8.8 v A2-70 stainless

I have just swapped the bolts on my Safety Devices role cage for stainless (the old ones were rusty).

I then got thinking whether they are strong enough.

The original bolts are 8.8 grade and the stainless ones are A2-70.

Anyone know if this is OK, or should I go back to 8.8 grade..?

cheers

simon

Reply to
Simon Coupland

Simon Hi,

I think that the best would be to ask SD themselves. But I think stainless steel has a tendency to crack under load while steel bolts warp and bend but do not break as easily.

Please let us know since I would also like to replace the rusty bolts on my SD rollcages on both my Discos.

Alternatively why don't you use cadmium plated bolts?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis,

I have sent a mail to SD, so I'll pass on their comments. (I assume they'll say to revert to original spec as it would be a liability for them to say otherwise).

I'll go to cad plated if that's the result of their comments.

cheers

simon

Reply to
Simon Coupland

Cad plating is now almost obsolete. Cadmium is either carcinogenic, or poisonous, possibly both and definitely unpleasant.

Zinc plating is more readily available.

MAKE SURE bolts are de-embrittled after plating, otherwise heads can mysteriously fall off a couple of hours after you tightened them.

David

Reply to
rads

Pantelis wrote: "But I think stainless steel has a tendency to crack under load while steel bolts warp and bend but do not break as easily."

This is true. Stainless should not be used on areas of stress. It will snap, steel will bend.

Reply to
Wolverine

On or around Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:46:11 +0100, "Simon Coupland" enlightened us thusly:

we did this a while back. If you can get A2-80 then they're nearer

8.8-spec. I doubt, however, that the strength of the bolt is that critical, A2-70 are pretty close to 8.8 - the toughest bolts I've seen were marked 12.9, but I couldn't find any to replace 'em, and 8.8s in the same application never failed.

Check with SD as was suggested, if you're not sure.

Interesting to note that the specification for seat belt bolts (7/16"UNF) is designed to be OK even with mild steel bolts, which seems a sensible way to go - you can never know that someone will replace a bolt with the same spec.

Reply to
Austin Shackles