High revs

My Ford Focus 1.4 (02 reg) high revs when driving and when stationary sometimes. Does not do all time but when it does if you touch accelerator slightly doesn't help just increases revs even more.

Diagnostic shows nowt, nevertheless changed speed sensor, throttle position sensor and idle control valve and still no joy.

Any ideas please?

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

When it is stationary and does it, what does the rev counter show?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If I tap the accelerator to 2000 revs it will be that or drop to 1500. If I coast to a standstill the revs will be whatever it was when I went into neutral. Sometimes, it will drop to idle 800-1000 revs after a few long seconds.

Further, when going down hill if I engage a lower gear the car will proceed at whatever the revs were in the higher gear.

Any ideas?

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

Have you only had the car a short time?

It's perfectly normal behaviour; I bet you find it's worse as the engine is partially warmed up.

It's to do with the emissions strategy. You will soon see it as normal!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've had the car for 3 years and the high revs have only started to happen last weekend. They also gained high revs when stationary and the only way to stop them was to switch off the ignition. Mechanic also sees it as a fault but cannot put a finger on it.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Bewl

"Bobby Bewl" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Vacuum leak somewhere?

Reply to
akheel

Thanks for the tip. Well, I checked for vacuum leaks and ended up tak Carry out full I.D.S. test locate T.P.S. fault, carried out further test, rework T.P.S. and adjust voltage at idle and retest.

...and now everything is tickerty boo! I wish I had gone there in the first place, most probably saving money on parts etc.

Reply to
Trigger