240D seats

I would like to upgrade the front bucket seats in my 78 240D. They are in good shape just not that comfortable. Are there any newer Mercedes seats in
a Palomino color that might fit with some modification? Any other brands that would closely match the Palomino color?
--
Steve

One can replace the seat cushion with a new M-B pad, also available from some on-line M-B parts vendors.

Recaro?

I am thinking of seats out of a wrecked car. Someone here must have swapped out the originals for something better.

I just checked on springs and pads. Spring $315.00 ea. pad $175 ea That seems like quite a chunk of change to repair the seats. Steve

Recaros are more than that. Hey it aint cheap to rebiuld the seats but they're more like well built furniture in the way they're engineered than say Buick or Toyota seats. My 67 coupe came with rebuilt seats. My god...

And what would be a better seat?
Maybe you should rebuild yours? it makes an immense difference.

I would think a newer Mercedes might have better seats. I was hoping someone here had made a seat swap that worked both in color and fit but I guess not. Steve

Nah, I don't think newer ones are better at all. I think the seats in the 111/112 cars were the best, from the early sixties. And by a large margin.
Richard Sexton <See http://rs79.vrx.net for address> writes:
[new seats for '78 240D]

Seconded. The lower cushions of W123 front seats tend to get mashed down on the outside edge due to people putting their weight there as they get in and out of the car. I had the one in my '85 300D replaced (just the cushion), and I was amazed at the improvement. It wasn't just that one asscheek was no longer lower than the other; the entire cushion had flattened out and softened far more than I'd realized. (The cost was $400 parts and labor, and worth every penny.)
Geoff
--
"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only
a test. Had this been an actual emergency, you'd be writhing on

I sized up a pair of seats out of a low mile 1996 C class. They look to be a good fit and the color is close. I think the sheepskin covers will even fit. Steve

Excellent. I'll be interested to know if there are any compatibility issues with the mounting hardware or the spacing of the places in the floorpan where the tracks attach.
Geoff
--
"The new 'Cindy Crawford Workout Video' is absolutely excellent.
I only purchased it two weeks ago and already my right arm is

Would it be a hassle to get generic pads shaped properly to fit the seats' bolsters? He wouldn't want to end up with seats like those from some '70s Datsun, with nice, sculptured styling but no lateral support.
Geoff
--
"The new 'Cindy Crawford Workout Video' is absolutely excellent.
I only purchased it two weeks ago and already my right arm is
The horsehair pad is flat piece... not contoured as you think it might be. Even if it is contoured... you can simply shape the foam to your liking.