Bucket Seats in a 90

Afternoon All

The seats in my 90 have seen better days, and i am thinking of replacing them...

Being a lad of the taller variety, i was wondering if fitting bucket seats would make the leg room a bit easier, on the grounds that the backs are a lot straighter and would sit against the bulkhead better.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have any experience? Do they make it a c*ck to get in and out?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

a couple of my mates have got bucket seats in series's. it works fine and can give you more space as they can be lower or further back.

can make it trickier getting in though. one mate has seats with quite high and slim sides and it can quite literally be a pain in the arse getting in if you sit down too early!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Wed, 01 Nov 2006 13:43:12 +0000, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

I had sierra seats in the 110. In fact, since I've now got it back and won't be using the body, in due course, I've got a spare set of adapter plates for the purpose... It's a bit of a knack getting in and out, but much more comfy once in. might not suit people under 5'6", due to lack of leg length and the seat being a bit taller.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I got some old Recaro's out of a XR3, welded them to the frames of the origial seats, made a much better driving position, much more comfort and you could still quickly remove them to get to the battery.

Well worth doing !

Reply to
Geoff

Tom Woods wrote, On 01/11/2006 13:57:

We put bucket seats in our series 3, and it makes driving much more comfortable. I'm 6'3" and found the original seats too far froward, too high and too upright. My eyes were almost level with the windscreen top and I used to get a pain in my throttle foot while sitting on the original seats.

The passenger seat is easy to get into, the drivers seat is more of a challenge because the steering wheel gets in the way. You soon learn how to swing in arse first.

Reply to
DavidM

Depending on the country you live in, you may be able to find Citroen BX Sport seats. They are quite big in the french land rover groups for a couple of reasons:

- Comfortable buckets

- Removable lower part to access battery/tank

- Really cheap as lots of people smashed their Bx after driving too fast and not being to handle a car at such speed :)

Olivier

1976 SIII Lightweight Arusha - Tanzania
Reply to
olivier.rousseau

What do they do about access the the battery?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

You just open the bonnet and access the battery in the usual way.

Reply to
EMB

But its under the passenger seat

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I was reading the previous post as being about Series vehicles, and all my ones have had their battery under the bonnet (as have the only 110's I've had much to do with as well).

Reply to
EMB

Wish mine was really... Much easier when the bastard wont start!

Is it wrong to put a new battery on the crimbo list?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Yes. Very wrong indeed - you put things you *want* on the crimbo list, but things you *need* (like a new battery) get first call on the money you'd have otherwise spent on SWMBOs present. She'll understand when you explain it to her. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

We had a customer in last week enquiring about a parcel shelf. His missus had been in that morning and ordered one for him, as a Christmas present. As I know the two of then my face must have given it away. "She's ordered one from my bloody Christmas present, hasn't she". "er, ummmm" says I. "Right, she's having another sodding iron then".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

mind if I take that on advisement?

LOL - priceless

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:53:24 +0000, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

well, what I did was to unbolt the seat. a bit of a pain, but you don't have to do it too often, 's only 4 bolts.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In a 90? Battery tray is under the passenger!

Reply to
GbH

On mine i have my seat held down by 4 nuts and bolts which are easy to access and undo as they are at the sides of the seat.

I have fixed it thus (if this makes sense):

top

nut (removed to get seat out) washer (also removed to get seat out) seat washer nut (which i never remove) washer seat box head of bolt

bottom

I also have some of the heavy duty power connectors (like the ones on here

PP175R). One of these is permenantly attached to the battery onabout 1 foot of battery cab;e (it tucks under my seat when not in use),and the other one is attached to half a set of jump leads. One of my mates has fitted his bucket seats in thje same way as me, though his seat is bolted down onto a big sheet of steel plate which is then bolted to the seat box whereas mine just has 2 anle iron 'runners' down the side. Another mate has made his slightly more deluxe i think and his bucket seat is bolted to a big steel sheel which then hinges at the front and has two studs that clamp it down at the back.

That should give you some ideas!

You could also cut an access hole in the side of your seat box to get at your battery depending on its exact size and location/

Reply to
Tom Woods

attempt at a clever response failed in this case ;)

Fit a 2.5D into a series, or want to use a bigger battery and it wont go under the bonnet.

Old fuel tanks chopped in half or metal shelves bolted between the 2 military fuel tank outriggers (top of one is level with the bottom of the other) make nice battery holders!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tis a tad unfair on father christmas.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I take back what I said about you being a true gentleman ... Typical male ... :)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny