420SEL oil change

Please help - I tried to change the oil in my 420SEL and after removing the bolt and filter I took out the filter and the oil in the housing did not
drain. I also drained the oil from the oil pan, and the oil in the filter housing still did not drain. Is this normal or are the hoses clogged?
Roman
How much oil was in the filter area? You should....undo the cap on the valve cover, take out the drain plug in the pan, make sure to get the oil seal off while that drains take out the filter wipe out the filter housing, replace the filter seal everything back up remembering to put all the new seals on fill up with oil close valve cover cap start engine. Richard

Approximately 1/3 qt. of oil is left in filter housing after removing filter cartridge. I have MBZ diesels and always the oil drains from the filter housing. This is a surprise to me that gas engines have some kind of valve which prevents oil to drain. I removed cap on the valve cover and drain plug. Thanks Roman

Mine drains, except for just a little bit in the side opposite of where it would drain. I don't know what's up with yours. Richard