560SL

I've always liked the styling of these cars and plan to purchase one. Can someone recommend which year 560SL to purchase? Do they tend to be high-maintenance?

Reply to
Gina

My advice is to check the car throughly before buying it. Buy one which has service history record and in good condition. Maintain it and the car should be reliable and fun to drive.

good luck

Reply to
saeef

I agree with SAeef - get a service history. I bought an 86 with 130k miles on the clock and no service records. Talked to some owners and experts and learned that the timing chain shouil be replaced at about 100,000 miles. Dealer cost about $1500. I found a good shop and had all recommended services including change all filters and fluids,tune up, misc.repairs and timing chain, total cost about $3000. The car was supposed to be for my wife and it turns out she does not like to drive the car. It has some irritating features that the German engineers do not seem to be able to handle. Such as sun visors that will not stay put, seat belts difficult to find and latch, gauges that need interpretation. I love to drive the car with the top down. With the hard top on, I am concious of various noises. Also, be aware that 14 mpg is average for suburban driving, maybe 16 or 17 on the road.

Reply to
Bill Bunn

someone recommend which year 560SL to purchase? Do they

Get the latest model you can (do you really need all that power or would less be enough?) and get it in the best condition you can find, it's worth paying a premium price, you'll save money in the long run. Also, unless you don't mind the cost of a dealer, find a good independent shop for any repairs.

cp

Reply to
cp

"Bill Bunn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

German engineer's are the most competent the world over!

They need to be serviced.

It seem's that only American's suffer from these problems!

Reply to
George Mann

Such as sun visors that

They need to be serviced.

What needs to be done or tightened to make the sun visors stay up against the roof? John snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
HazenAssoc

Such as sun visors that

They need to be serviced.

What needs to be done or tightened to make the sun visors stay up against the roof? John snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
HazenAssoc

Wow, what a useless reply. Almost as bad as this one.

Reply to
Martin Joseph