85 300SD: no start/no fuel flow, how to prime it?

Although the fuel gauge still shows there is 1/4 tank of gas left, somehow apparently no fuel is getting to the cylinders. There is a clear fuel filter that is right beside the top of the left wheel well, and instead of being full of gas, it is dry, so that is why I think there is no fuel getting to the cylinders.Other than that I know next to nothing about the fuel system on diesels, but I know they don't start again unitl you get fuel back into the injector rail if the fuel lines are dry, by priming it or something like that. How do I do this? It cranks fine. thanks for your help.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Look for the hand pump bolted to the side of the fuel injection pump on the driver's side of the engine. Unscrew the top of the pump until the plunger is free. And then unscrew one of the fittings (a turn or two but don't remove it) on top of the secondary fuel filter (the canister filter near the front of the engine). Pump the hand pump until you get solid stream of diesel out of the loose fitting. Tighten the fitting on the secondary filter. Screw in the plunger handle on the hand pump.

Reply to
VCopelan