'86 300SDL Climate Control Unit Removal

The manual says to do the following:
3. Remove option switch. (What is the Option Switch?)
4. Unscrew screws (61) and carefully pull wooden cover panel on
underside out of center console. (I removed two screws at the bottom of the wooden cover panel, however the wooden cover panel still remains attached to a plastic frame. When I pull at the bottom of the cover panel, the cover panel and control unit do not come out freely and are still attached to each other. What else do I need to do to remove the control unit without damage?)
Thanks
I am assuming you have removed your radio and got to the two screws holding the wood panel... once removed.. when you pull the panel outward toward you slightly... the upper switches will still be attached...
You need to then pull down on the wood panel so it releases the wood panel from the upper slot... then you have to reach behind every switch and disconnect them...
Once disconnected, wood panel would be free and then you can access the climate control unit pushbuttons... two 10mm bolt to release that.
Thanks very much for your help. Pulling down on the wood panel with more "force" did the trick.