92 300SL Air Conditioning - losing freon

I've had my SL into the shop three times. It's leaking freon, but the shop can't seem to find the leak. They found one fitting that had a very small
leak. They put enough freon in the system to get it to run cool, and told me to keep an eye on it. Well, it's not cooling anymore, the pressure is low enough that the compressor clutch isn't kicking on. Still leaking somewhere, I guess. The shop I took it to isn't a Mercedes specialty shop, but they have a great reputation and I would think should be able to fix the problem.
Can anyone give me any ideas or pointers on this one?
Thanks, Steve
The shop *should have* used a tracer dye when recharging the system. A week later they would check with a UV light to see where the leak is... hopefully NOT from the evaporator drain, a tube located on the passenger side under the car. Did you notice an oil spot on your garage floor near the passenger side?... that could indicate a core leak.
The dash, steering wheel, and driver's seat are usually removed for access to the core, so keep your fingers crossed that it is not the culprit. If it is, plan on replacing the dryer and any hoses etc at the same time... about a $3K job at an MB dealer. It's not usually a heck of a lot cheaper elsewhere, as they often do not have sufficient experience negotiating the loads of wiring and other stuff encountered... thus more takes them far more time.
I am stunned they did not use a tracer dye if a leak was suspected... that's SOP!
Paul
--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---

shop
shop,
the
there are also sniffers that can smell freon a mile away.
ask your house AC guy if he has one for the freon that your car takes
case
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

small
told
is
Have him put the car up in the air and check the drain hoses for the A/C if dyes are present there...
FREE-BROADBAND http://home.iprimus.com.au/global11 /

if