96 E320 Engine light

I have an engine light that I constantly reset, and it comes back on no matter what I do. The error code was EGR valve, so I replaced that, and it came back on. When I check the code again, the same error comes up, the
EGR. I just bought the car about 6 months ago, so I did a service that included new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and a new gas cap, since the old one wasn't factory. I was told that could cause the light to go on. The car runs fine. Is ther anything else I could check? Or, if I could, would love to disconnect the check engine light on the dash. Is this an easy task? Thanks, Steve
Let a Mercedes mechanic look at it.

I did, that is who read the code for me
My 90' 300E check engin code says 16. Manual says it's EGR. I checked everything but all works fine.
Can anybody tell how the computer figures out the EGR valve malfunctioning?
Thanks in advance.
Don
There is a recall for that problem. It is 90-0442. It affects the CIS-E control unit. If the build date on it is below a certain number, you get a new ECU.
This is one of the times it pays to check with your dealer!

Common problem on 104 engine.. The EGR pipe gets blocked where it enters the head. Left/rear of engine. They can be cleaned out , but the best remedy is to replace the tube with the a modified part/kit. Available only through Benz.