Reset Check Engine Light

Hey Guys, I think the light may have just tripped on accident due to all the fog and crap we have in the air (O2 sensor). I want to try and reset the check engine light myself and then see if it comes on again. If it does, I will get it replaced. So.... does anyone know how to reset the light without going to a dealer or service shop? There has got to be a way. Thanks.

Reply to
D. Bell

If it was a "accident" several driving cycles will clear it. But if the cause is was not a accident and still remains it won't clear..

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

If it was do to conditions other than the engine, it will clear after a given number of driving cycles ( sorry I don't remember how many, but something around 10 comes to mind). If it does not clear, and I don't know why fog would make any difference, then I would suggest first having the code(s) read as it may not be an O² sensor. In fact it could have been nothing more than a loose fuel cap.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I had the codes read last night at a local shop and they said it was the O2 sensor. I'm just wondering if the dirty air contributed to it going off. Maybe it just needs to be replaced - doh!

Reply to
D. Bell

Just move to Arizona and the light should go out... maybe! Honestly I bet you going to need it replaced!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Doubtful. The 02 sensor is sensing your exhaust and not the intake air. At the O2 sensor point, whatever air that went into your engine probably doesn't matter much. Fog and moisture would have long since burned off before reaching it and dust/dirt would have been trapped by your air filter before the intake.

Reply to
Matt B.

Maybe not. The O2 could be good but due to $hitty design, VW likes to put wiring in the most retarded places. For example, the connector for the O2 on the A3 is right on top of the rear engine mount. So eventually the wiring could pull out of the connector and show a bad O2 with the wallet sucking code reader. This happened after trying to get unstuck in some deep snow. Lucky for me I realized what happened. I disconnected the O2 and brought up the connector so I could solder the wire back in after taking the little rubber grommet out which keeps the dirt out.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Well boys, the check engine light went off by itself this morning before work! Awesome. I knew it had to be just a mistake. Although I will keep an eye on the O2 sensor. Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

Reply to
D. Bell

Yep,

You COULD have an intermittant wire break. This is what I had. The check engine light would go on and off and eventually stayed on. If the O2 was out of range, it would have given the out of range code before the failure code.

If it happens more frequently see my response below.

HTH

Reply to
Peter Parker