Adjusting Rack Damper Bolt

I know I need to adjust or replace the rack damper bolt on the fuel injection pump of my 1982 300 TDT because there is a terrible vibration at idle speed. I know where it is and the lock nut, etc. I
have already tried to adjust it, turning it inwards about half a turn, but it hasn't helped yet.
Does anyone have any experience with that?
Thanks.
Paul Fretheim