Alternator belt 300D

Can someone point me in the right direction. I'm trying to replace the alternator belt in my 78 300d, but I can't figure out how the belt comes off/tensions. How do I loosen this belt?

thanks, erik

Reply to
fishlegs

The belt's tension and adjustment is made at the alternator.

There's a tensioning bolt - turn it to adjust belt's tension AFTER the alternator's mounts (underneath) have been loosened. Try that from under the car.

The tensioning bolt will turn but not appear to move - because IT doesn't, the alternator does the moving.

The adjustment is easy when done correctly, check the mounting bolts if there's difficulty.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Change ALL your belts at the same time.

Reply to
Tiger

I am. How do I loosen the AC compressor belt?

thanks

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
fishlegs

There are three (count em, 3) 19mm bolts on the rear side of the A/C compressor. Loosen all three and then loosen the 10mm tension bolt located on the side closest to the fender well. An interesting thing about that compressor...it is virtually the same as the early '80s Chevy pickup truck! Got that tip from someone who knew his stuff. Took off the old A/C compressor, took it to Kragen, asked for an '83 Chevy pickup truck compressor and behold, it was virtually the same! Cost is only about $100 on average. Don't remember if they wanted the old compressor as a core but the new one came with the correct magnetic clutch and pulley.

Reply to
Ernesto