At What Mileage Will I Need Brake Work? 2002 S500

I've got about 26,000 miles on my 2002 S500. I'm getting a slight squeaking sound in the front brakes when I brake for a stop sign at a slow speed. Should I be needing brake pads or other brake work this soon?

They might need it. But the stock pads can be a bit noisy/dusty. There's no real set mileage - they console brake wear indicator will tell you when to replace the pads. Try simply hosing them off to clean off excess dust.

You are overdue for a brake job. Oh - by the way - it is called a brake job because it will break you. Probably around 600 for pads only. Of course you probably also need rotors all the way around. It is a Mercedes, and they do not last well but they do stop well, especialy at the stealership!
mcbrue honestly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river
96 S420
MCBRUE wrote:

LOL!!
Juergen (having had the chance yesterday to test a BMW 116i - yikes, _now_ I know the A-Class _is_ better!)

Check out BMV Auto Parts in Richmond, BC (604)273-3636, they quite reasonable prices and are Benz experts. Though if you can afford a new S500 you probably won't bother with the hassle to save a couple hundred :-)
cp
It all depends on the individual driver and his driving habits.The shrieking noise comes from the brake sensors, indicating new pads. If you replace your brake pads with Mercedes pads or any o.e. like Pagid, your front wheels will continue to be black from black graphite in the pads. If you want cleaner wheels that are not black, use Rotex Gold pads (made for all cars and models) available discounted from coximport.com. The stopping power is the same as o.e. pads without the black brake dust. P.

Doesn't this beast also have electronic sensors that should tell you the pads are worn? Of course they aren't fool proof, so I'd pull the wheels and have a look.
A 2002 is still under warranty and I don't think he should bother with aftermarket parts because you never know how the dealer will say you're engine blew up because you didn't use stock pads. Richard

Oh, and I thought these cars didn't do the shrieking thing but rather the turn on a light on the dash thing. Richard

You're brakes are probably on their way out, but if the light ain't on they don't need changing. To get rid of the squeaking, try doing some hard stops. If you get 26000 miles on pads, you probably drive gently, and brake pads will eventually squeak at low speeds if you always drive gently. Richard

I pressure cleaned the front wheels/brakes (at the car wash) and did two semi hard stops (I still hate to do that without cause). You guys were right, it stopped (at least for now). Didn't know about the sensor light on the dash. One of these days I'll get off my ass and read the owners manual. Seriously, thanks all you guys. The dealer won't tell ya this stuff, only "we must service the car according to factory standards".
" Tomorrow is promised to no one".... Walter Payton, 10/7/84.

So, make cause. That thing sgot what, 302hp? Use em. Richard
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:24:39 GMT, "marlin"

I would say that if the brakes are not used for what they are meant - and used *hard* to stop a car instead of dropping speed - the pads and rotors glaze eventually and there is nothing to apply if needed urgently. :-((((( I recently replaced the front pads with Lockheed ones and somehow they have progressive effect - the effectiveness increases along with the pad temperature rise. I like that.
Helar

Only if your pads are utter junk.

ALl racing compound pads work like that. They don't come OEM like that because they have a tendency to squeal, especially if you don't brake hard, and when cold they don't stop all that great. Get em hot and you're golden though. Richard
<snip>I recently replaced the front pads with Lockheed ones and somehow they

As long as it doesn't get too progressive and lock up when it's really hot...
On 2004-12-16 12:15:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (DaFlaBear) said:

This doesn't mean anything. A certain amount of free play in the pads can allow for a vibration to occur at certain speeds/brake pressures.
This doesn't mean your pads are worn, or that anything is wrong.
If you go to an autoparts store, you will see a bunch of products that are "anti-squeek" products. These are basically glues that cement the brake pads to the calipers so that they don't vibrate.
Of course having a mechanic eyeball the pads and verify they still look like they have some life left doesn't hurt any...
Yes, sure it COULD be that, but with it suddenly appearing at 26K miles how can you be so sure that it's not pads worn down? Not sure on this car, but some pads definitely have little metal clips designed to make a warning squeal if the pads wear down too far. And at 26K, I'd suspect that before I'd think they suddenly just developed a squeal. In any case, the only right thing to do is pull the wheels and look, not guess.
Benz pads don't have the squeal thing. Also, cars with the squeal thing are designed to squeal when the brakes are not applied. It's not guessing, it's knowing. Richard