Bluetec or CDI

Looking at some new Diesels. Should I consider the straight 6 CDI (used 05 or 06), or go ahead with the new Bluetec (non-Adblue version)? It seems as if the Bluetec system is more complicated, but I haven't spoken with anyone knowledgeable enough to know the advantages and disadvantages. Drove the Bluetec and was impressed with the power and quietness, but the noise doesn't bother me anyway.

Does anyone know if the E320 is getting AdBlue in the non-restricted states in 2008?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The plan is a 50 state V-6 diesel.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Have you heard anything regarding the production timeframe for this model?

One thing I was considering was the European Delivery option, but I would like to get in on the 2007s if the 2008 will require AdBlue.

"-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Jeff

Don't know about its production or marketing schedule.

I've bought four cars under the European Delivery Program. Nice program IF you're going to be in Europe anyway but ... traveling in Europe now, spending our weak dollar is no fun, it's painful!

Domestic car shopping will achieve similar economics for most M-B models.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Whatever happened to mbspy and Juergen? Seems like he disappeared.

Reply to
Tiger

I have never been - looking at a vacation of sorts. I have always wanted to go and thought if I was going to get a new E320, that would be a great way to pick it up.

Did you sell your 97?

Jeff

"-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Jeff

I've found

be pretty good on the up-coming models and reviews, including one of the Bluetec at Car and Driver (they prefer the gasoline E class).
John M. also looking at a European delivery E320 diesel to replace my '94 E320

Reply to
Imethisguy

If in doubt (and money allows) get the Bluetec.

See also my reply to Tiger.

Juergen

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Juergen .

Anyone calling me? I'm here, I'm here!!! ;-)))

MBSPY.COM is offline - much too much work involved!!!

Which especially means research, investigation and digging through an ocean of information to be able to select and prepare appropriate (= top, not any "me too") site content. That meant a total of 40+ hours a week for a hobby project, which obviously is way too much in the long run.

And to Bluetec: Since some longer time it was more than obvious that there is a relatively small, but very profitable market for Diesel MBs in the USA. At some time even the sleep caps in Stuttgart heard the shoutings and decided to offer diesel passenger cars in the US again. Not only they grossly underestimated the size of the market, but also had slept in terms of emmissions with their entire diesel engine line as they were soooo busy to pump up power output (e.g. new C-Class W204 smallest diesel version 200CDI has 136 PS) they neglected emissions (plus of course, why should they change anything as long as the buyers bought the old diesel engines? Yes, yes, the GM-and-Ford syndrome...).

In 2006 they introduced BLUETEC, see the Press Kit at

Of course the whole matter has a lot of other facets, mostly highly political ones, which are too many and too complicated to be really discussed here, but a summary for new car buyers buying diesel passenger cars which can be drawn from them is:

A) What's environmentally (emissions related) "state-of-the-art" today may in some few years be "crap". That means no more long-term security when buying diesel cars, taxes may sky-rocket or access to cities may be denied, all effecting the resale value of the car.

B) Anything less than today's state-of-the-art should not be bought. So refrain from diesel cars without particulate filters ex-factory and don't buy a car without a maintenance-free system plus don't buy a car whose system needs additives.

Note A) and B) are from observing Europe (and Germany in particular), but I have no doubt are (or will be soon) valid in countries like the USA, too.

Although I'm kind of a diesel fan I recommend to think about the engine type, diesel or gas: It turns out that there is a (not that small?) number of people for whom driving a gas car would be cheaper - of course that depends on many variables like car's price, mileage per year, insurance, taxes, fuel prices and the country you live in as well as comparing engines with similar power output.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Hey Juergen! Good to hear from you. Yeah, I can understand it about hobby... I kinda agree with you on diesel engine tech... it makes sense.

You know, I saw a show on DiscoveryHD here in USA... Futurecars... has fascinating tidbits... especially diesel engine. Opel made a 1.8L diesel engine for a racing car... which average speed at the track was 140 MPH and yield 121 MPG...

Since Opel is not sold in USA... I wondered if that engine is already available in European market.

Reply to
Tiger

The '97 was sold in February; the (local) buyers love it!

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I don't understand. You spend weeks cleaning the Stuttgart toilets with a toothbrush and you still need to spend 40 h per week doing more research

I thought you would pick up all the brown stuff you need without trying further...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Exactly so. With UK diesel prices being significantly above 95 octane (91 US) petrol prices and no significant difference in road tax you have to do a lot of miles to justify a diesel purchase. Maybe a bit less if a lot of city driving is involved, but the principle remains.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

In the Seattle area diesel is currently running ~15% less than 87 octane regular unleaded. I replace an '05 Ford Taurus and an '04 Ford Ranger getting around 21 mpg each with a '92 MB 300E turbodiesel and an '03 VW Jetta TDI wagon. Between the the lower fuel prices and the significantly better fuel economy I expect the diesel to be far more economical.

JD

Reply to
JD